Maui in January: should I book now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, going to Maui in January for 2 weeks. Staying in Kaanipali area. Will be doing plenty of shore diving but want to get out with an op for a few days at least as well. We've never been to Maui in high season before. Ideally, I'd like to book last minute to have flexibility in our itinerary, but am unsure how loaded up the dive boats get this time of year. I'm familiar with the island's ops as we've been before on a few occasions, albeit not for 8 years now, but can anyone give me some guidance on how crowded the dive boats get in January? Can I just decide on the island like I want :D and walk in a day in advance or less, or am I a crazy man?

Thanks

Mark

Hope you can just decide when you're there......that's what I plan on doing for 3 weeks in February :D

I'll be in Kehei in early January... I plan to book some boat dives real soon now to be sure of getting them, but l'll wait til I'm there to book shore dives. I don't want to lock in my free time too much...

You will have no problem booking trips on a dive boat . I suggest Lahaina Divers. They are about 5 minutes drive from where you are staying. If they get a full boat they add another, and they have tons of trip options. Their schedule is posted on their website. As far as "booking" shore dives, if you are comfortable and competent diving on your own with a buddy, you don't need to book at all. Rent air and lead from the Maui Dive Shop. There is one right in Kaanapali. They also have a shore dive guide book for free, and they can tell you the easy, moderate and challenging dives. Most of the good shore sites will also be on the West end where you are staying. If you want a shore dive guide, there are plenty. Go on line , search maui diving, and you'll find a bunch. Also, the major dive shops will hook you up on about any schedule you want, but it is pricey. Enjoy!
DivemasterDennis

Lahaina Divers runs some nice boats, but if you want to get to Molokini, they are a little out of the way. You could save yourself a lot of time bouncing around at sea by leaving from Kihe with Mike Severns or Ed Robinson's. I'd go to Lahaina Divers for their access to Molokai and Lanai.

Thx all.

Yep, we'll be shore diving on our own. Sounds like no reservations are necessary, 'cept for possibly the Molokini dives with Ed Robinson.

You anticipated one of my other questions DM Dennis with the availability of air and lead in the area. But from what I see, Maui Dive shop in Whaler's Village doesn't carry scuba rentals. Can anyone confirm? If not, is there another option around there?

I would say if you want to dive with a particular operator for a particular day, booking in advance will guarantee you a spot. If you're flexible, you'll have no trouble getting on a boat.

I agree to dive Molokini that you're better off driving to Kihei early in the morning (about 45 min from Kaanapali) to catch a charter. I will also add that if you're an experienced, independent diver that you might find Lahaina Divers to be a bit restrictive. They are geared toward the inexperienced/once a year/beginning diver and do a fantastic job with them.

If you want advanced charters look at Ed Robinsons for their 3-tank charters on Tuesdays, or their Sunday, Wednesday, or Friday charters....all geared more toward the experienced diver. The DMs become guides who look for all the cool critters on the reef. They don't babysit and as people get low on air or NDL they go back to the boat while the others continue.

Maui Dive shop at Whalers is geared for the snorkler. The large shop at the Lahaina Gateway shopping center is a large dive shop with tons of scuba equipment. I concure with Divemaster Dennis on shore diving. On the west side oneof the easiest access points in Airport Beach which is a great spot to get re familier with your gear. On the South Side I would recoomend going on B&B's new fast boat. Their crew is great and they leave early from the Kihei Boat ramp taking only 15 minutes to get to Molokini then they do a shore dive for their second dive. If you ever wanted to try out scooter diving, PM me. It's a blast!!!! We followed a large Manta today for about 10 minutes. It was amazing.

yeah, I emailed them Hawk. The Whaler site doesn't carry air or lead so we'll go to one of the others. Thx, scooter diving, eh? Hmmmmmmmm.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom