Maui in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vale Tudo

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be staying in Maui the first week in February and have 2, MAYBE 3, days to dive. I am already booked with Scuba Shack for one day, a little nervous because I don't really see anyone recommending them around here, but at least it looks like they get to Molokini earlier than anyone else, and they are down the street from where I'm staying...

My big question is for my second dive. Assuming I'm only doing two days, that means I can only pick one choice between the Lanai Cathedrals or Moloka'i. Does anyone have any input as to which one I should hit and who I should book it with? Really having a tough time deciding, and now I've waited til the 11th hour...should also mention only available days would be Thursday or Saturday.

Thanks!

I am already booked with Scuba Shack for one day, a little nervous because I don't really see anyone recommending them around here, but at least it looks like they get to Molokini earlier than anyone else, and they are down the street from where I'm staying...

Not that I completely agree with the concept of getting to Molokini earlier than anyone else, but if that is really the deciding factor for your dive, your intel is bad...

halemanō;5317887:
This is the web site advertised check-in times for the Molokini boats launching from Kihei Small Boat Ramp;

B&B, the earliest boat most of the time, has a 5:45 check-in and probably occasionally leaves by 6:00.

Prodiver check-in at 6:00, and since it's just taking max 6 guests they probably occasionally leave by 6:00.

Those two boats are "in the water" at check-in time, so they are the earliest two by a good margin. The rest of the boats do check-in with the boat still on the trailer.

Mike Severns check-in at 6:00.

Makena Coast check-in at 6:30.

The latest boat, Dive & Sea's Sundance III, has a 7:30 check-in; back noon-12:30.

Scuba Shack has one boat, Ed Robinson has two, but neither states check-in time on their web site. I'm guestimating Scuba Shack 6:00, Ed Robinson 6:30.

Unless you are chartering a boat just for yourself, you can't choose Molokai as an option. Even if you charter the whole boat, you definitely can't count on decent dive conditions.

Some boats out of Lahaina go to Molokai, but only under the very best of conditions. Not something ordinarily scheduled.

Extended Horizons is my preferred West Maui operator. They often go to the Cathedrals since that is the well known signature dive spot requested by many customers.

If you have only 2 dive days on Maui, I'd recommend a South Kihei boat to Molokini on one day, and Extended Horizons to Lanai for the other day.

There are many good dive ops in Maui. For the most part, choosing the "best" operator is a matter of finding one whose operating style and personality are the best match for you.

B&B is a highly regarded 12 passenger boat that leaves first. It often has instructors with students onboard. My #1 recommendation for someone that doesn't have a lot of dive experience. Many experienced divers also prefer this boat. The owners are delightful people and their dive shop in Azeka Plaza, Kihei is my favorite dive shop. Strangely, although the customers of B&B's boat tend towards the newer side, B&B is also the source of trimix for tech divers, and the owner is heavily into rebreathers.

Mike Severns operation are the fish nerds. Really, really into underwater botany. Tends to have a lot of repeat customers with lots of experience, but does well with newbies also. My personal favorite, and the first one I call when looking for a spot on a boat.
As with other 12 passenger boats, diving is generally done in two groups of 6.

Ed Robinson Dive Adventures usually runs two 12 passenger boats out of S. Kihei boat ramp. My #2 favorite.

ProDiver is a 6 passenger boat, leaving early from S. Kihei.

Scuba Shack is a 12 passenger boat out of S. Kihei. The regular captain and the owner of Scuba Shack are both "interesting" characters. I book with Scuba Shack only if all of the above boats, and the two cattle boat operators, Maui Dive Shop and Lahaina Divers, are all booked. I have no specific complaints about Scuba Shack, but somehow the personality of the owner just rubs me the wrong way.

==============

The above is not a comprehensive list ..... there are also the Maui Diamond 2 out of Maalea, 6 packs Dive and Sea Maui and Makena Coast Charters, adventure diving with North Shore Explorers. Lots of operators for whatever sort of diving experience you are looking for.

i dove in the Maui Aquarium a couple of years back.... it was awesome
most sharks Ive ever seen on one dive...

Thanks for the replies. Timing had nothing to do with my choice, price and location did, it was just something I read after the fact and was saying at least it's one of the first out there...

And thanks, I didn't know that about Moloka'i, looked like Lahaini Divers did a couple trips out there a week, but I hadn't called them to check. I think I will do Lanai the second trip, it'll be a bit of a drive from where I'm staying, so I wanted to make sure it's worth it.

Lahaina Divers does go to Moloka'i twice a week (Tuesdays and Saturdays) and have an excellent track record of getting out there (they rarely cancel).

Halemano, Ed Robinson's check in is at 6:30, so your guess was correct. Charlie, I'm with you that ScubaShack isn't one of my top choices. But I'd go farther and say that some of the "policies" of the owner will prohibit my husband from diving with them, so they aren't really a choice at all. :wink:

If you go out to Lanai, a good set of dives is Sharkfin Rock followed by one of the Cathedrals. The picture on the Lahaina Divers schedule page was taken at 1st Cathedral afaik - I have one somewhere that's very similar. Allow 45mins. to drive up from Kihei - in addition to distance, there's early AM traffic - mostly people going to work at the resorts - and if whales are spotted offshore traffic sometimes slows down. Which is likely in Feb - they're there now. You might hear them off Molokini also.

Last edited:
Lahaina Divers does go to Moloka'i twice a week (Tuesdays and Saturdays) and have an excellent track record of getting out there (they rarely cancel).
Superb! I learn something new every day.

I'll make a point of taking one of their Molokai trips sometime in the next couple of months.

I haven't used Lahaina Divers very often because,
1. I'm Kihei based,
2. The last few trips the DM's have been rather inexperienced.
3. Their dives tend to be on the short side.
4. My BCD camband has a permanent kink at the 7.25" diameter of AL80, and its a struggle getting the 6.9" AL72's to hold well.

Getting to check out Molokai outweighs all of the above.

While Lahaina Divers may only "rarely" cancel a "booked" trip to Molokai, I think it is a bit of a stretch to imply that they make a Molokai trip "nearly" every Tuesday and Saturday. I think it's safe to say they regularly make the Saturday Molokai run. :idk:

North Shore Explorers took 2010 off and when I last broke bread with Todd, 2 weeks ago at the EH Holiday diner, nobody mentioned NSE at all. :idk:

Edit; looking forward to Charlie doing a Molokai trip and his eventual report. :D

If you go out to Lanai, a good set of dives is one of the Cathedrals followed by Sharkfin Rock.

That would be an interesting itinerary? :coffee:

I think it much more likely that Shark Fin would be the first dive; the deep dive. Then your surface interval gets you significantly closer to "home" and either of the Cathedrals is a better "longer, shallower" dive, IMHO. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom