Maui in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5700258:
Once again I am questioning your intel;

B&B...............$119 (cheapest Maui AM 2-tank dive boat)
Scuba Shack...$125 ('cause you mentioned them)
EH Lanai.........$139

Even for two divers the difference does not seem to be $50 (unless counting gas for car). :)

Sorry, should have said I only own a mask/snorkel/fins/wetsuit, so I have to rent the other equipment, which would put EH Lanai trip to $169 for me. Scuba Shack is $125 which includes all equipment rental, $120 actually since I booked 2 dives. That's where I came up with the $50 diff. Not to mention travel time and gas like you said...So that brings me back to my question, would the Lanai trip be worth all the extras it would be runnin me??

Since you had already booked with Scuba Shack before even asking questions here, I am now really only typing to lurkers who may be planning ahead for their Maui trip. :crafty:

If one is visiting Maui it is usually at least a 5 day visit. Only the most dive addicted would be diving every day so ~3 dive days is very common. Historically, any list of the most recommended dive trips in the State of Hawaii has always included Molokini and Lanai in the top 5, maybe even the top 3 (with the Kona manta night dive). :eyebrow:

Typically, hammerhead sharks at Molokai and monk seals at Niihau are more of a "I've made all the other trips and I have money to burn so now I will pay a lot hoping to see animals most Hawaii divers don't get to see." :coffee:

If the visitor is staying in South Maui this is a good way to go IMHO;

Rent what you need from Maui Dreams Dive Shop, for a week. In the OP's case that would be BC, reg and computer; $110. Adding weights for ~24 hours of shore diving is only $3.

If you want to really get the best Maui has to offer, the weather has to cooperate, but the weather does cooperate more than 80% of the time. :blinking:

This would be my ultimate 3 dive day itinerary;

Dive Molokini on Thursday with Mike Severns Diving, letting them know when you book that you are going to do Extended Horizons Thursday afternoon Carthaginian charter and you are going to do 5-Caves as a shore dive. :kiss2:

When you book the Extended Horizons Carthaginian trip, let them know you are diving Molokini with Mike Severns Thursday Morning. Since this is an ultimate itinerary, 3 tanks of Nitrox would make it better for the Carthaginian dive. :idk:

Dive Lanai on Saturday with Extended Horizons. Saturday is really just selfishness on my part. :)

Do a day of shore diving; I know a reasonably priced Sunday guide for Makena Landing/5-Caves/Turtle Town. Weights are included on those Sunday shore dives! See last sentence of previous paragraph. :)

The Maui Dreams rental computer tracks all your dives, instead of the boat's rental computer only tracking your one trip's dives. Because of the Maui Dreams rental you save $10 off your Mike Severns trip, $30 off each Extended Horizons trip, you get to use the same gear on every dive and you can make shore dives whenever you want. :D

See, that's the type of info I was looking for when I first posted this thread, and really wish I would've gotten that instead of your posts simply just questioning my intel...

I obviously know my intel is suspect; I have never been to Maui and only can gather intel from the net and calling shops, thus the reason for me asking the question on here. I called one dive shop that didn't go to Lanai and they said that Lanai was mediocre at best...that was when I realized I really needed to get some unbiased opinions, so I can make the best out of my trip.

Hopefully I can get back to Maui down the road and take advantage of your advise...

I think no matter where you dive you will have a great time. Weather looks great for the next week or so. Pick up a copy of Maui Revealed from amazon.com or e-bay before you go. 5th edition is the latest edition. We bought it before our trip and the advise is great. They rate all the best scuba shops and trips in the book. Well worth the $15.00. Hope you have a great time......

Those of us in the tourist service industry call that book "Maui Reviled" because there have been significant negative impacts from tourists and operators following/marketing the advise of that book! :no:

Some of the most incredible Maui experiences are no longer possible because much of the advise in that book is illegal; trespassing on private property, harassing marine mammals, destruction/desecration of private and public property, including areas with State and Federal Protection status. :shakehead:

Additionally, most of the dive operator advise is based on at most one first hand trip with each operator, over a decade ago! :mooner:

I am sorry about the book advise. My wife bought the book because a friend told us about it. We did not live by it, but we saw some neat stuff we would have missed.
The restaurant and snorkel advise was spot on and we had no complaints. Then again, it's Maui and it is just heavenly. I am sorry if it has hurt some local business that did not deserve any bad reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom