Maui in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops, you're right - fixed that..

You're right, I should have said that Lahaina Divers has a Molokai charter on their SCHEDULE for Tuesdays and Saturdays. Like everything else, they have to have decent conditions and enough divers to actually make the trip.

Agreed about Charlie, I'm looking forward to what he has to say. After diving with Lahaina Divers for many years and knowing what I might expect, I'm not quite ready to pull the $199 trigger yet.

Yeah the $199 is what's killin me to. You going this Saturday by chance Charlie?!? :)

Probably not this Saturday.

The conditions have improved somewhat as yesterdays big swell dies down. Today's forecast for the Pailolo Channel between Maui and Molokai is .."East winds to 25 kt. Wind waves 9 ft. Northwest swell 13 ft. Isolated showers in the morning." It continues to improve and Saturday forecast is "East winds 20 kt. Wind waves 8 ft. Northwest swell 9 ft. Isolated showers.", with the current small craft advisory ending 6PM on Saturday.

NE trades of 20-25 knots and good sized wind waves are pretty normal. Lahaina Divers has the advantage of running much bigger boats that most other dive ops and I suspect they will make the run on days when the 35-40' 12 pack boats won't go.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=PHZ120

I'll be around until the end of March. That gives me the luxury of being picky about what days I go out of boats vs. shore.

Charlie

p.s. Long range forecasts aren't very reliable, but next Tuesday forecast is "Northeast winds 20 kt. Wind waves 7 to 8 ft. Northwest swell 9 to 10 ft. Isolated showers."

pps. For a comparison, the point forecast for the middle of the Lanai to Lahaina crossing shows a forecast of only 2' waves today, 1' on Saturday.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...56.7364501953125&site=hfo&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en

Love Cathedrals with Lahaina divers. Great op with comfy boats and divers grouped by experience.

Just dove Maui on the 10th of January and went on 2 dives. Much better than the 2 feet of snow I came home too. I went out on the Pride of Maui which is a snorkel/scuba/snuba boat out of Maalaea Harbor. We made 2 dives at the Molokini Crater and it was incredible. 110ft on the 1st dive and 40ft on the second. Weather did not let us go to Turtle Town for the second dive. Mike was our divemaster and he was incredible. They feed you and have a great open bar on the way back. From what I was told Lahaina divers is supposed to be a quality outfit.
Hope you have a great trip, the whales are everywhere right now and sound incredible underwater.

Thanks for the interesting review of the dive operations. Looks like I will be in Maui the week after Vale_Tudo and was weighing up similar options (Molokai vs Lanai). I will be staying in Lahaina area and would prefer a boat out of Lahaina or Maalea. Any recommendations on the best operators for someone with reasonable experience (100+ dives).

The only operation that goes to Moloka'i with regularity is Lahaina Divers. As for Lanai, you can choose between Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons, and Hawaiian Rafting. Extended Horizons usually gets the nod around here for the more experienced diver. IMO the only advantage Lahaina Divers has is their big 46' Newton dive boats that provide a very smooth and easy crossing in sometimes rough waters.

IMO, if you're willing to drive to Maalaea Harbor to catch a boat, you might as well go all the way to the Kihei boat ramp. However, none of those boats go to Lanai or Moloka'i, so for S. Maui and Molokini charters go with Ed Robinson's, Mike Severns, or B&B (all departing from the Kihei boat ramp). One distinction Ed's outfit has are regularly scheduled charters geared specifically toward the more experienced diver, including two 3-tank charters per week.

The nice thing about Maui though is that there don't seem to be any *BAD* charter operators. It is all a matter of picking the one(s) that match your diving style, personality, wants, needs, etc.

Is Lanai worth the long drive in the morning and the extra $50 over a second trip to Molokini and S. Maui??

Once again I am questioning your intel;

B&B...............$119 (cheapest Maui AM 2-tank dive boat)
Scuba Shack...$125 ('cause you mentioned them)
EH Lanai.........$139

Even for two divers the difference does not seem to be $50 (unless counting gas for car). :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom