Maui Dive Shop.... a joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoSheZZie23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I went to get a tank for a dive tomorrow morning. Unfortunatly maui dive shop was the only place open at 8pm. The guy working there should not be employed in a dive shop anyware.

1) I asked if they had steel or alum tanks. he said they had steel and brought one out for me, a steel 80 he said, and i said well that looks like an alum to me, and he then said no its a steel. Not that it matters to much but it said AL on the side of the damn tank! You would think a dive shop worker would know the difference.

2) I asked if they had any DIN tanks in the back i could rent and he said "no" and then i said oh ok and he returned with "well whats a DIN tank?" and i said it has a different valve than that one (which i pointed to the alum 80 in front of me) and he said oh.

3) He checked the pressure of the tank he was going to give me and it read out 2800, and he asked want me to get another, and i said sure if you dont mind, and i asked him what they normally fill them up to and he said 3200psi. So the second comes out reading 2800 again, and i said thats fine i guess. I said they are probably at 2800 because they filled them mid day when it was hot, and he looks at me blankly like why it would matter if they filled them when it was hot or cold out.

now that i think about it they probably just jacked them full in 20 seconds and when it cooled it went down to 2800. So hopefully dont get to much carbon dioxide in my tank! I guess we will find out.

So all in all, i know all of these thinks are little and probably dont matter but it just irritates me. I would never have gotten a ****ty fill or a dumb *** worker at my LDS in Washington.

**** i dont know a ton about diving and i could run circles around this guy!

I walked into a shop that was heavy into tech and asked the guy what he had in DSMBs. He didnt have a clue.

I called around to a few of the local shops in AZ this weekend looking for an STA, spelling it out for them as to what it was, you'd a thought I speaking a different language, and these where the shops that sold "tech" gear :11: Finally gave-up, I'll wait for the e-tailers to restock :D

I was unimpressed with Maui Dive Shop while in Maui, reminds me of the scuba dept at the Sports Chalets (sporting goods stores) here in the Southwest mainland.

-Garrett

bvmjethead:
Threads like this make me not want to ask any questions on this board.......
why? Other threads sure, but why this one?

The Maui Dive Shop has a high turnover and to be blunt, they're very much into sales such as activities more than diving. You ran into a newbie and that happens. Plans those dives a bit earlier than 8pm and you'll find some outfits that are just about the diving.

B&B opens at 8:00 a.m. Every day, I believe. Have never gotten a short fill from them, and I HEAR they even have some DIN valves.

Steve

bvmjethead:
Threads like this make me not want to ask any questions on this board.......

This thread is to show how unimpressed i am with MDS. I would want anybody else that was unimpressed with a certian dive shop to post their experiance. It may help in the future to not go to that dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom