Maui dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a great report and thread. I am planing a trip out right after Thanksgiving. If Halemano and Thalassamania are busy I will be looking for someone to dive with.

Oh, Lucy's Diver, you call Maui shore diving logistically challanging? Come try Southern California shore and surf plunging followed up with a 1/4 mile hump with full gear back to the car up a 50 to 75 foot rise. :shocked2:

If the surf don't get you, the shlep back to your ride will! :D

Maui beaches are a cake walk. :wink:

Last edited:
I just returned from a trip to Hawaii and dove with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures while on Maui. Solid dive outfit all around. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. I'd dive with this crew again.

I also went out diving with North Shore Explorers. What an awesome experience! Everything about this outfit is top-notch. Worth every penny. From the boat ride out to the dive sites (that's worth the cost of the adventure even before getting in the water!) to the knowledge and experience of the DM and staff, and the sites we dove, it was truly an amazing experience. I highly recommend if you are staying on Maui to check these guys out. Dives are geared toward more experienced divers.

This was a great report and thread. I am planing a trip out right after Thanksgiving. If Halemano and Thalassamania are busy I will be looking for someone to dive with.

Oh, Lucy's Diver, you call Maui shore diving logistically challanging? Come try Southern California shore and surf plunging followed up with a 1/4 mile hump with full gear back to the car up a 50 to 75 foot rise. :shocked2:

If the surf don't get you, the shlep back to your ride will! :D

Maui beaches are a cake walk. :wink:

I don't like any of the topside experience of shore diving - sand in my gear, worrying about the car getting broken into, walking around in gear, etc.

I like my topside experience to be either (recreational) get in gear, flop over side of boat, or (work) have others put gear on me and flop me into the water.

I just came back from a trip to Maui and did 9 dives with Ed Robinson and 2 with Mike Severns. I originally planned to do half the dives with each operation but due to bad weather Mike Severns weren't going out for many of the days. I really liked the Ed Robinson experience as the staff were professional and friendly. I found that Ed Robinson's crew gave very good safety info regarding conduct in bumpy weather - i.e. getting on and off the boat without getting hurt. The Mike Severns crew also gave thorough safety briefings and, of course, excellent pre-dive biology briefings. The only difference I noticed was that when I'm on Maui I get a little tired of the standard hospitality industry speech - i.e. "Aloha! Where are you from? Info. Info. Info. Mahalo!" and especially when the hospitality worker is clearly not interested in saying anything more. I understand that it can be annoying to have to talk about the same things over and over but that is part of everyone's job and there is a fine balance between trying to (understandably) avoid conversation with tourists and snubbing them. On the Ed Robinson boat I didn't see that at all, which was great but I did get it a little with Mike Severns operation. Maybe the weather was a factor. Definitely would recommend both but next time I go, if I can't dive exclusively with Ed Robinson I would split the remaining dives with Mike Severns and B&B.
Aloha!
Alex

B & B is our favorite!! We are nearing the end of our 3 week stay and have been doing all our boat dives w/ them, except the one to Lanai area-- we did that w/ Extended Horizons. Can't go wrong w/ B & B. This is the windiest trip we have had here, and very few, if any boats made it out to Molokini several days last week. They are very safety oriented and don't want their divers to have rough rides on the boats. Great Fun Times w/ B & B!! Take care, Maggi :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom