Maui dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course I love B&B. I like the early starts and getting to the dive site first or second. Nice to have choices. Then of course it's getting back to the ramp early. Makes it easy to grab a McGriddle and a couple of extra tanks for some shore diving. Our friends with non diving spouses like the idea that they're able to get two quality dives in and be back before the spouse gets itchy charge card fingers.

If you're looking for something a little more adventurous for one of you days, check out North Shore Explorers. They run a two tank trip out of Kahululi. A bit expensive, but definitely a unique Maui dive experience.

If you're looking for something a little more adventurous for one of you days, check out North Shore Explorers. They run a two tank trip out of Kahululi. A bit expensive, but definitely a unique Maui dive experience.
Actually they mostly launch from Kahului and explore the north shore (and Molokai) one of their advantages is that they are willing to trailer their boat to different boat ramps to access unusual dive spots. They have even trailered their boat over to Hana to check out the SE section of Maui, as well as the more mundane thing of launching out of Kihei boat ramp to do custom trips to Molokini backwall.

Ya gotta love a boat that still has a 50 caliber gun mount pedestal up on the bow!

North Shore Explorers sounds like a blast....unfortunately they are so danged expensive, and with Maui boat diving already being expensive, its a bit too much for our budget right now.

Its looking like we will go with Ed Robinson, partially because we can get a break on the price through a tour outfit we're doing non diving stuff with. Also the advanced dives he has appeals to us.

Ed Robinson's is our preferred operator while on Maui, I hope you enjoy diving with them as much as we do.

Ed Robinsons does a night dive on Thursday nights. We dive with them 3 times a year - very happy and great group of dive masters. You can't go wrong with them.

We're here now, and dove yesterday with Ed Robinson's.

They were very helpful about some gear issues (airline snafu, the airline didn't at first think our gear would show up, I was able to call the Ed Robinson booking office right before they closed and arrange for rental gear, eventually I only needed a mask). We only got to the Maui airport from New York City about four hours before the 6:30 check in time, we were scheduled to get here at about 6 at night the day before.

The boat crew and DM's were very good. We did the two tank adventure dive yesterday, for which they recommend nitrox (which we did). This is billed as some more out of the way sites for more advanced divers. There was some surge and current at the shallow areas of the sites, and the dives were done drift style, with the safety stop out in blue water, but nothing was really that advanced. I found it pleasantly non challenging but certainly not boring, I really enjoyed it.

They really do want to set up your gear for you, they appear to have a system on the boat, especially with the nitrox dives. I think they move tanks around during the first dive to position them for an easier swap, and they have a system to keep you on the tanks that you tested. I like to set up my own stuff, but they do it in front of you and there's plenty of time to check everything so no big deal.

Our first dive was a place not often done due to frequent winds well south of the boat ramp and La Perouse bay on Maui called Pinnacle Point. Viz was OK for the location (60 feet) but we saw a lot of good stuff. The second dive was the back side of Molikini at a site called Slides. The back side of Molokini is really a beautiful wall and viz was excellent. We drifted in a direction from which the wall developed from a gentle incline to straight vertical with overhangs.

We had a small group (6 or so) and the DM was really good about pointing out wildlife without being pushy about it. He was also good about in water gear stuff - one guy had a tank band come loose on the first dive and another diver had a finger spool come open and reel out a whole lot of line - on both dives. Yes, both dives. Those things should be in pockets (I carry mine in a small pocket along with a john line).

They had hot coffee and juice at the boat ramp and on the boat, and fruit and muffins on the boat between dives (plus water and soda on the boat). Its a well set up, comfortable boat. I noticed the bow seemed to be well flared out, there were a couple bumps with a lot of spray but none came in the boat. Its a big boat to put on and off a trailer every day but they are obviously well practiced and their systems are set up in a customer friendly way.

They did offer to let us keep our gear on board if coming back the next day. I took our regulators and various small stuff back to the hotel, leaving wetsuits, fins, BCs, and my tool/parts kit on the boat.

Later this week my brother, a brand new diver (10 dives max i think) will be joining us. I'll post later about things go with less experienced divers on boat. We also have a Wednesday night dive set up with Shaka Doug.

We've been back for awhile.

The rest of the week's diving with Ed Robinson's went very well. I ended up on some pretty deep dives, which I'm fine with, and on both sides of Molokini. We saw a bunch of cool suff, including a group of baby sharks hiding togther under a ledge and a fairly large octopus on a deep dive (I think battleship).

The night dive from shore with Shaka Doug was excellent. I'm not a huge fan of all the shore diving logisitcs but it was worth it. We saw many, many enormous turtles (one of which bumped me as it swam past after spending a few minutes staring at me from inches away) and a harlequin shrimp. Also rays, eels, sharks, etc. We saw some kind of eel like fish in an act of predation - saw the whole stalking, grabbing, eating thing. The area he took us to was shallow (max 30 feet or so) and totally alive with wildlife. It was just me, my brother (a new diver) and a thrid guy who sat out the second dive due to sinuses or something.

I would recommend both Ed Robinsons and Shaka Doug, it was a real good diving vacation.

Hey Ted,

Thanks for the report! That was a cool couple of dives we made that night. The video of the conger eel getting that fish and swallowing him came out cool. You never really get to witness that very often so it was a highlight of the night dive for me. The two eagfle rays that surprised us in the shallow surgy zone was really cool too. Would you like a copy of my pictures from those dives? I shot a lot and can burn them to CD for you. PM me and I'll tell you how it works.

Glad you and Pete had an excellent dive too! I really enjoyed diving with you guys. Everyone stayed together, followed procedures and we made the most of that site. Any plans on coming back to Maui? (By the way, I used to work for Ed Robinson back in 1998. He runs a good operation and I still know a few folks who work for him. I don't think he dives all that much any more but I do hear that he does get out on his three tank adventure dive trip once in a while. Did you get to dive with him? He's a good guy. I can't remember if we talked about that or not....)

Aloha and thanks again for posting your trip report for us. It really helps a small businessman like myself when experienced folks like you tell it like it is. A lot of people are going to read it. I work very hard to make it look like I'm not working hard! Thank you! I hope we get a chance to dive again one day Ted Happy diving to you and say hey to Pete for me!

By the way, they bulldozed that kiawe forest along that shoreline last week so who knows how much more diving we'll be doing there :(. I put a video clip up here in a different post last week showing the initial phase of ground work. It's really sad. It's such a great place to dive!! I hope they don't ruin it for the future.

Back
Top Bottom