Maui County Delivers Final Blow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did a very nice job Doug. Strange way of making laws and doing business....you can't help but wonder what the "real" agenda is....since they don't seem to be trying to help local business prosper.

Politicians only listen to the ones who keep them in office - which all too often are those who finance their campaigns. THe CORA operators need a strong lobby, which unfortunately means banding together enough money to fund an opponent and vote these people out. The current mayor and council members have apparently decided they are not interested in what you have to say, so it's time to elect someone who will listen. Start working on the campaign now.

Ok, lets not getting into a war here again.
Just an observation from an outsider, not even a diving opinion.

Doug, I watched your clip. While I think it is low that members did not show up to listen, they did give you the option to speak before the break. In which case you would have had the members that did not come back. It is very common for members to not show up, but they still collect there paycheck, that one always burns me.
I regards to your speech, I think its important to identify your self. However, you took most of your time kind of lecturing them why your such a great expert. But through the whole speech you really did not present any facts. You just disputed others opinions. If you want to play the legal game you need to play by there rules. You need to show up with documented cold hard facts. If you want to talk about how many people have permits and how many permits are out there, go to the permit office and have them run an inquire to find out who has them and how many. If you want to dispute resale of permits, try and find some documented cases of permit transfers.

Also in your speech, you brought up a lot of points of potential issues with the new legislation. But you never offered any ways to help with the issues. Try to come up with potential solutions to the issues at hand.

People really don't care if they put someone out of bussniess. There looking at the big picture, the all mighty dollar. Maui economy relys heavy in the tourist. Try to show documented facts of how many people come to dive. How much they spend, and how this law will negitively impact the Maui economy. But again, documented stuff, just saying yeah people wont come anymore is not enough.

I do commend your efforts, its people that stand up and be heard that do make a difference in time. Even with block head law makers. We have had simulare type issues here that we are fighting with red light camera's. Best of luck.

Doug, I previously sent you (by email) a copy of my email to the mayor and parks director which spelled out how beach diving on Maui was what got me hooked on diving and how I return regularly to continue diving. Perhaps you can use that content as one example. (I hope you received it, but I never heard back from you so if you didnt let me know and I will re-send).

yea I think its very funny. as a matter of fact its the funnest thing i have watch unfold in a very long time.its always funny when I give sound advise and nobody listens and they lose. yep its funny.

yea I think its very funny. as a matter of fact its the funnest thing i have watch unfold in a very long time.its always funny when I give sound advise and nobody listens and they lose. yep its funny.
Interesting perspective, but you failed to ever point out an actual constitutional issue that could actually be raised.

I am watching this closely because some of the same issues are developing here on Oahu. I can understand the issues, but it seems to me the actions and changes were done in haste, without consulting those in the industry.

I am watching this closely because some of the same issues are developing here on Oahu. I can understand the issues, but it seems to me the actions and changes were done in haste, without consulting those in the industry.

Actually Drew there were years of deliberation and consultation with both the public and the activities operators. Then there was an administration change and the new administration threw all that work and compromise out the window.

From todays Maui News; view point from one of the deliberators from the previous administration.

Much like Linda Lingle's political career is likely over, most of the members of the current Maui County Administration are probably in their last public office. Most of my coworkers have told me they will vote for me if I run. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom