Maui Bottom Temp Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving lately in my 3/2 mm full suit and I'm not getting cold. My suit is well worn and if measured with a micrometer would probably be called a 2/1mm. Anyway, the trick to staying warm is to be sure to flood your suit with a significant amount of sea water as soon as you can after entering the ocean. Your hot body (maybe I shouldn't say hot...I don't know you all that well)..... Your warm body will heat the warm, thin, ocean water layer UP to about 90 -92 inside if you're lucky. That will insulate you from the outer water and keep you comfy during the dive. I've seen people with 7mm, hoods, gloves, boots, etc. etc. complain about being cold here on Maui and it's because they don't let any water in their suit. The thick suit constricts them and restricts blood circulation, makes them feel claustrophobic, slows their body movement and hampers their ability to produce heat. It's simple, flood your suit, stay warmer during the dive. Works for me for over 27 years of diving on a near daily basis. I'm not fat (anymore) either. As a matter of fact I've lost 30 lbs since last Christmas and I'm still in the same wetsuit. I have a lot less personal insulation than I used to bring with me and I'm just fine. Tell yourself the waters HOT (even if it's not) when you first get in too...that helps!

Today it was 78F at White Rock under sunny skies. Nice!

A pot of coffee or a big bottle of water in the morning before the dive doesn't hurt either!

It's WINDY outside right now. Please Lord, all I want for Christmas is for it to be nice and calm for my Molokai dive Saturday. My trip there has been blown out three times....

Back
Top Bottom