Maui Bottom Temp Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove yesterday, 76-77 degrees. A full 2/3 suit did well enough. Third dive of the day got kinda chilly.

Diving tomorrow, and quite a few times this week with Ed Robinson's folks. Next Saturday... Molokai (please PLEASE let the weather hold out!!!)

In open water there is no thermocline relevant to diveable depths in Hawaii.. so the water is basically 75-ish year-round.. everywhere in the islands..

Shallow waters that don't have good outflow will warm up a bit but not substantially.. these waters are generally not relevant to diving.

Bottom line - the water temperature most places you'll dive in Hawaii doesn't really change as far as thermal protection goes.. all the people that think they can tell the difference between 75 and 77 degree water are fooling themselves.. activity level during the dive.. how much you slept.. what you ate.. your activity level.. how dehydrated you are.. how cloudy/sunny it is.. whether the tradewinds are kicking - this will impact how cold you get - not a 1 degree drop in water temperature..

Don't forget how many consecutive days you're diving...that'll really dump the core temperature and make you colder.

Honestly though, I won't wear less than a 5mm full suit diving Hawaii at any time of the year.

Don't forget how many consecutive days you're diving...that'll really dump the core temperature and make you colder.

Honestly though, I won't wear less than a 5mm full suit diving Hawaii at any time of the year.

Shore and boat has been hovering around 78-79 this week.

Bottom line - the water temperature most places you'll dive in Hawaii doesn't really change as far as thermal protection goes.. all the people that think they can tell the difference between 75 and 77 degree water are fooling themselves.. activity level during the dive.. how much you slept.. what you ate.. your activity level.. how dehydrated you are.. how cloudy/sunny it is.. whether the tradewinds are kicking - this will impact how cold you get - not a 1 degree drop in water temperature..

:no:

Bottom Line - I have seen 69 degrees on my computer guiding divers on the Sea Tiger & YO-257, some winter before '04. I have also seen temps over 80 degrees guiding divers off Wailea, summers of '06 & '07.

Those cold temps were probably after significant rains on the Island (Oahu). Fresh water seeps are the source of most of the colder water that we feel here, especially in Maui County; the more it rains on the Islands the colder the Ocean temp at many dive sites. The fresh water streams vary in temp 10-15 degrees seasonally (depending on source elevation).

Ocean temps at the Oahu and Maui dive sites I have dove for years vary approximately 10 degrees, so 75-ish year-round requires about a 6 degree -ish in either direction IMHO.

5mm is pretty much my minimum anywhere along with hood. This week it's been a slightly compressed 5mm with a 2mm hood. I've been just slightly cool when not actively swimming.

Looks like B&B are seeing a consistent 77 degrees at both S. Maui sites and Molokini.

Since you posted this right after my previous post, I have to ask if you are talking year-round? :eyebrow:

LOL Halemano, I was responding to the OP's original question of what the temperatures were around Maui NOW.

Last December the water was FAR colder than 77 when we were there. I'm hoping it'll be a bit warmer this December when we're there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom