Math is Scary - Drowning is (probably) Scarier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought it was more a possible reference to the apostles.

Vikings had jurys?
The viking traditions are strong in England and northern Europe. Two of the kings of England were simultaneously kings of Denmark. The Normandy area is named for the "Norseman" who settled there. The Norman invasion that established the current British monarchy essentially began as a squabble among viking descendants. The English in 1066 were still using the Viking/Danish system for royal succession, with the new king elected by nobility, with some deference to an heir designated by the dying king. When Edward the Confessor died, his kinsman Harold was named king, but the Norse and the Normans, all related by different degrees, disagreed. The Norse invaded first from the north, and Harold had to beat them and then make a rapid forced march southward to where the Normans were invading, where his weakened and exhausted army was defeated. William of Normandy claimed that Edward had named him as his successor, and he further claimed that Harold had agreed that William would succeed Edward years before that.

So, much of English heritage is viking heritage, both from its own viking past and from the Norman viking descendants who conquered them.

12 inches to the foot, hours in the day
Can I just say, Vikings or not, we have 24 hours in a day.... Apparently we owe that to ancient Egyptians. And the sexagesimal system for hours and minutes was developed by Babylonians

In America, we are so partisan that math needs to be binary.

Why not, you can find good team for diving by base 12
View attachment 624559

When I first saw this picture in the attachment above I thought it was photo-shopped. However, on second thought, people born with six fingers, or toes, is not as rare as you might think. It is more common to have the sixth digit connected on the little finger side of the hand. The incidence in Caucasians is reported as 1 in 1,339 live births, compared with 1 in 143 live births in Africans and African Americans. You don't see this condition in the US because the sixth digit is usually cut off soon after the infant is born. View this article on polydactyly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom