Math is Scary - Drowning is (probably) Scarier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scariest thing about this thread is that after five pages of profound discussions about underwater complex mathematics and measurement units nobody has fixed the spelling mistake in the title, yet :)

I had to go back to the first post to see who this advice was meant for. It was directed to new divers. I read through the article on SAC and gas usage calculations and found the advice sound enough, but came away thinking this is putting "the cart before the horse". We need to get those new divers to pay more attention to their SPG'S especially on deeper dives.
This.

When I had fewer dives below my weight belt, I always brought a slate with my min gas pressure at various depths. Math done topside, no need for underwater math. Pretty failproof, even if I were more narked than I'd appreciate and hardly were able to add 2 and 2. Worked pretty well.

These days, those pressure values are so ingrained in my brain that if you woke me up in the middle of the night and told me my depth, I could probably tell you my min gas pressure.

I said about metric system just to keep this talk :)

We need to switch to base-12. Then dividing by 2, 3, or 4 will be easy while dividing by that Yurrupean 10: too hard.
Why not, you can find good team for diving by base 12
858x540.jpg

Good luck lobbying that change
A perfectly logical decision :)
Сalmness, only calmness!
24-dedos.gif

It is very easy. you even can count on fingers.

But my main point was just about calculation simplifying.
If you experienced enough, you have to know just one value - where you will have "UPpppS !". It is something like point of return.
And you do not need to know anything about mathematics...
Just red sector on your SPG.
In good condition - Ups - when the arrow came to the red sector.
In the deep, in the blue, or in the difficult conditions - just double width of red sector in your mind - it will be the return point to the surface.

Roger, thanks for the post. I also enjoyed the speaking sidemount interview. I like the NJ/NY spin on things.

We need to switch to base-12. Then dividing by 2, 3, or 4 will be easy while dividing by that Yurrupean 10: too hard.

Good luck lobbying that change
I would have expected Storker to be more receptive to this change, given national heritage. I admit that I did not look this up to confirm it, but I was taught years ago that the Vikings had a base 12 system, and it had a big impact on northern European traditions. It is supposedly the reason we have many things in dozens, 12 inches to the foot, hours in the day, people on a jury, etc.

I would have expected Storker to be more receptive to this change, given national heritage. I admit that I did not look this up to confirm it, but I was taught years ago that the Vikings had a base 12 system, and it had a big impact on northern European traditions. It is supposedly the reason we have many things in dozens, 12 inches to the foot, hours in the day, people on a jury, etc.

You made me look. Here's real scary Norvegian math: https://archive.bridgesmathart.org/2013/bridges2013-191.pdf. I need to go wash my brain in bleach now.

Vikings had jurys?

Back
Top Bottom