Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised to hear you say that you didn't see much difference between OW/AOW and Master Diver. For me, the dive physics/physiology etc contained in the NAUI Master Diver course took the themes we'd learned in OW to a noticeably further level. I understand that NAUI Master Diver coursework is not far removed from the theory that dive professionals of other agencies are required to learn. That's not too shabby, but to emphasize again: I'm painfully aware that the theoretical knowledge I've acquired doesn't make me Richard Pyle!

I will admit the Master Diver course did go into more detail. I think that the biggest reason I saw little difference is that my instructor tends to teach some of this throughout all of his classes - and it made perfect sense to me. I probably shouldn't have generalized as much as I did. I'm sure for some the learning curve with these materials is steep.

IMHO master diver or Rescue diver could definitely be misleading especially if there is an emergency on a recreational dive boat and additional help is required. Chances are the DM will rely on the divers with the master/rescue cert with less than a 100 dives over a Tech Diver with 1000's of dives. I have seen some rescue divers lacking basic dive skills with the rescue cert who could not rescue themselves let alone a distressed diver in a real life situation (at least 2 comes to mind). That's one of the problems I have when diving down south and misleading certification names, many of the dive ops I have seen only have tick off boxes pertaining to PADI cert levels and seemed to have no idea what a TDI Advanced Trimix diver is capable of. Sure some of you may say there are also crappy Tech divers but your chances of finding one lacking basic PADI OW skills is very unlikely as the Darwin factor will sort that out pretty fast.

Better off actually diving gaining experience and developing your skills rather than spending you first couple of years trying to become a master this or a rescue that, of course this is just my opinion so please do not take it to heart, by the way my highest rec cert in PADI AOW.

I don't care if they call them 'Jedi Divers,' or 'Scuba Lords.' Not if it encourages more extensive training, making divers better than they'd otherwise be.

Richard.

Dude, if they called it Scuba Lord, I'd probably sign up right now :D

If a 'Master Diver' certification lures & encourages more people to take Rescue Diver, then who cares if it has a 'lofty' title? I don't care if they call them 'Jedi Divers,' or 'Scuba Lords.' Not if it encourages more extensive training, making divers better than they'd otherwise be.

Richard.

You are so correct. There has been a debate on here about people working thousands of hours as an electrician apprentace who obtains the highest level of rating in that field I still would not trust to change a light bulb. Some people are naturals at what ever they decide to do and really do become a master of it in a very short amount of time where as some people do something there whole life and cant be trusted to sit in a chair and do nothing.

I think people should look at say a master diver and dont ridicule him because he spent a little extra but instead should dive with him and see how he does and THEN say hes a sad diver or an excellent diver.

Just because you see a title and a short amount of experience dosent mean that he did not earn a title. Who knows given the chance they could outdive alot more experienced divers!

Earn a title?

As a recreational diver not currently purchasing training, all other divers in the same category have only one title to me - diver.

i recently spoke to my instructor about doing a master diver coarse , i wanted to try perfect my buoyancy and breathing and thought that it would make me a better diver , his comment was , do a rescue coarse and spend the cash saved for the master diver coarse on more dives.... maybe do it later if i ever one day want to become a DM , i think at the end of the day its not the cert that makes the diver , its how he dives ... iv seen a DM open his air whilst holding the gauge a few inches from his face ....

i recently spoke to my instructor about doing a master diver coarse , i wanted to try perfect my buoyancy and breathing and thought that it would make me a better diver , his comment was , do a rescue coarse and spend the cash saved for the master diver coarse on more dives.... maybe do it later if i ever one day want to become a DM , i think at the end of the day its not the cert that makes the diver , its how he dives ... iv seen a DM open his air whilst holding the gauge a few inches from his face ....
You're a NAUI diver. You'll need to do rescue first anyway. I fear that your instructor's advise reflects badly on him, you see the objective of the NAUI Master Diver class is to provide you with a course where you can raise your skills and book knowledge to the level expected of a NAUI Instructor while ignoring the NAUI agengy information, the how to teach (be an instructor) and the how to manage dives for certified divers (be a DM). A NAUI Master Diver course should do exactly what you are asking for, and a bit more.

Is it disrespectful to individuals who have spent many years earning any of these honors to bestow them on barely accomplished beginners? All of these questions come down to individual value judgments.

Is it disrespectful to call a physician "doctor" because it devalues the accomplishments of someone with a PhD who has spent years doing original research?

Is it disrespectful to call a computer programmer an "engineer" because it devalues the accomplishments of someone who has passed their FE and PE exams?

Being upset at the use of a term in a title misses the point that the term is used in a particular context. One can spend their life upset at usages of language. But doing so misses the point that language merely points to concepts. That you know what "master diver" refers to clearly shows that you understand the term within it's linguistic context. And that points to the utter silliness of being upset about it.

Is it disrespectful to call a physician "doctor" because it devalues the accomplishments of someone with a PhD who has spent years doing original research?

Is it disrespectful to call a computer programmer an "engineer" because it devalues the accomplishments of someone who has passed their FE and PE exams?

Being upset at the use of a term in a title misses the point that the term is used in a particular context. One can spend their life upset at usages of language. But doing so misses the point that language merely points to concepts. That you know what "master diver" refers to clearly shows that you understand the term within it's linguistic context. And that points to the utter silliness of being upset about it.

Actually more to the point is the misuse diminishes every certification with the names PADI, NAUI, and SSI (and perhaps others) in front of them. I am not upset, only pointing out the consequences of the inappropriate use of the term.

Back
Top Bottom