Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have done both programs, but the bare standards assure that, when taught by equally competent instructors, the PADI program at it's best, is roughly the same as the NAUI program at it's worst, and that's what you'd expect from a standards analysis.

I'm a PADI instructor and I have taken the NAUI MSD course. It is one of my personal peeves with PADI that we don't offer an equivalent course. It is, in my estimation, a gap in the PADI training model and it is why so many people who aren't interested in working with students takes the DM class.

I acknowledge that differences exist, but I think they are minor and easily addressed. I don't see the need to make a big deal out of it, and I think we are engaging in what Freud called "the Narcissism of small differences".

Excerpted From Wikipedia:

The Narcissism of small differences is a term coined by Sigmund Freud in 1917, based on the earlier work of British anthropologist Ernest Crawley. 'Crawley, in language which differs only slightly from the current terminology of psychoanalysis, declares that each individual is separated from the others by a "taboo of personal isolation"...this "narcissism of minor differences"'[1]. The term describes 'the phenomenon that it is precisely communities with adjoining territories, and related to each other in other ways as well, who are engaged in constant feuds and ridiculing each other' - 'such sensitiveness...to just these details of differentiation'[2].

In terms of postmodernity, consumer culture has been seen as predicated on 'the "narcissism of small differences"...to achieve a superficial sense of one's own uniqueness, an ersatz sense of otherness which is only a mask for an underlying uniformity and sameness'

The emotional need for an "Ersatz Sense of Otherness" explains a lot of what we see in all these endless debates on Scubaboard.

I acknowledge that differences exist, but I think they are minor and easily addressed. I don't see the need to make a big deal out of it, and I think we are engaging in what Freud called "the Narcissism of small differences".
WOW!!!

And the corporate answer of the year award goes to....

One might claim that there is a "narcissism of minor differences," but Freud coined that phrase in his 1918 article on "The Taboo of Virginity" is which he was dealing with subject of man's "narcissistic rejection" of woman which resulted from the man's castration complex. Perhaps there is parallel here, that we might refer to as the "narcissism of failing to identify significant differences," stemming from fear of the appearance of castration implicit in recognition that actual differences exist.

I'm a PADI instructor and I have taken the NAUI MSD course. It is one of my personal peeves with PADI that we don't offer an equivalent course. It is, in my estimation, a gap in the PADI training model and it is why so many people who aren't interested in working with students takes the DM class.

I DO think PADI made a mistake when they structured their MSD program such that the MSD became a degree for course work taken, rather than a course in itself. This leaves them open to the "It's just a card" charge.

As to direct comparisons, I agree with Thal that the optional specialty courses can water down the value of MSD, and that is true for NAUI too. Again, I think PADI made a mistake including them in MSD because it leaves them open to the "underwater basket weaving" charge.

But PADI's business model is just that, a BUSINESS model. They just don't CARE about the grumpy old fossils issuing their gloomy condemnations and carping about the good old days. And why should they? Those folks aren't going to take a class or buy a full set of new gear including $200 split fins and an $800 poodle jacket, are they?

With 70 percent of the market, you have to admit that PADI is offering what their customers want.

And if you want more than that, you can get most of it right here, for free.:D

One might claim that there is a "narcissism of minor differences," but Freud coined that phrase in his 1918 article on "The Taboo of Virginity" is which he was dealing with subject of man's "narcissistic rejection" of woman which resulted from the man's castration complex. Perhaps there is parallel here, that we might refer to as the "narcissism of failing to identify significant differences," stemming from fear of the appearance of castration implicit in recognition that actual differences exist.

That is really good, Thal. Clever and witty.

I'm going to sign off now, to go look for my testicles...

I hope they did not get too far, that is a very Freudian concept. :D

Aren't they in your wife's purse where they belong?

Damn Thal. Did you have to look that up? Or you knew it right off the top of your head? I'm impressed. You're really smart. Well....you know a lot of s**t....but I don't know how smart you really are. :D
You ARE a master of knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom