Master Diver: A different perspective from an experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what the OP is a beautiful example of is that there really is no downside to getting more training. And if the instructor is a good one and works to make the classes meaningful, there can be a big upside, even if you have a bit of experience under your belt. Most of us could be a bit better at navigation, or at maintaining awareness and buoyancy and position while trying to manage something like a recovery, and challenging yourself is the best way to grow.

Although I have issued with anyone paying the $30 fee for the PADI Master Diver card (since there is no additional classwork required -- once you have finished the class requirements, you just pay an additional fee for the "summary" card), I do not think it is wrong for people to take Con Ed. Just pick your instructor carefully, so you get the most for your money, as it sounds like the OP did.

Ever try weaving a basket underwater? It ain't easy ... especially if they make ya do it while holding a hover ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yep, & line dancing is even harder....

Seriously, the more advanced courses, the better the training, makes a better & safer diver....

Seriously, the more advanced courses, the better the training, makes a better & safer diver....

... I wonder if these guys got a distinctive specialty card for this ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wonder if split fins are better for line dancing, or should I stick to my paddle fins.

Apart from Nitrox, Nav, deep, night/lmtd vis, and stress and rescue alot of the classes are fluff. The science of diving sounds interesting and we'll probably take that whenever our schedules allow. I've taken fluff classes simply because they make feel like I'm still involved with diving during long surface intervals.

You miss the point entirely! YOU STARTED YOU ALREADY DID THE TRAINING AND FOUND IT USEFUL!....If assume. You just didn't want the card. That's fine. Who cares about the card. You wanted training and you got it. Same with must ppl.

Miss the point? :hm:
THAT was the point. :idk:

I also did Primer and Fundies with GUE without earning a "pass". Got a lot of great training, and may or may not go back again to work on earning the pass, or at least gaining more and more control, even if I never earn that pass. At that point I had gotten most of what I took those classes for.
I was interested in the level of skill offered by those courses, and not the piece of paper, (which at least in the case of a GUE "pass" certainly can open a lot more doors than what many folks see as a useless MD cert, which is mine if I am only willing to Put Another dollar In..)

At this point in my life, improving my diving experience and becoming a better diver is my goal, and I am not into collecting a bunch more certifications, except, or unless I reach a point where a particular certification is needed for me to take a "next step" in my diving.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 06:35 PM ----------

... I wonder if these guys got a distinctive specialty card for this ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looks like the makings for a new specialty trim and buoyancy cert........

Of course it doesn't. Holding any type of certification doesn't make it so. I would like for you to come try the courses I took off of your current knowledge including the water work and see how you do. You might change your mind pretty quickly about their usefulness.

You miss the point entirely! YOU STARTED YOU ALREADY DID THE TRAINING AND FOUND IT USEFUL!....If assume. You just didn't want the card. That's fine. Who cares about the card. You wanted training and you got it. Same with must ppl.

You miss the point. AOW is basically required because most boats require that for the "good dives" Nitrox and Rescue also good idea. There is nothing wrong with advanced training but I Know you would learn more tagging along with some of your more advanced buddies on a night dive than paying $75 to $150 bucks for the course. Save the money and buy a good light. I have never been on a boat dive and asked for a Boat Diving Certification or Night Diving Certification. MSD was something PADI came up with for more money, now they got Scuba Fitness.

Of course it doesn't. Holding any type of certification doesn't make it so. I would like for you to come try the courses I took off of your current knowledge including the water work and see how you do. You might change your mind pretty quickly about their usefulness.

You miss the point. AOW is basically required because most boats require that for the "good dives" Nitrox and Rescue also good idea. There is nothing wrong with advanced training but I Know you would learn more tagging along with some of your more advanced buddies on a night dive than paying $75 to $150 bucks for the course. Save the money and buy a good light. I have never been on a boat dive and asked for a Boat Diving Certification or Night Diving Certification. MSD was something PADI came up with for more money, now they got Scuba Fitness.

Doubler, over the course of 20yrs Ive accumulated lots of gear. I have also dove with plenty of talented ppl. Some if my friends have come to me bcI have spent a good amount of time underwater. But learning from a pro beats all.
Lastly this isn't even PADI.

Worth it or not is relative, not that it is not great, but I kind of believe there are better "value" out there. Again, it is relative too. Mind if I ask how much this costed you?

Not so ... the term means different things to different agencies. If someone wants to become a NAUI Master Diver, they do not get there by taking a series of specialty classes. The NAUI Master Diver is its own class ... in fact, it's the diving skills part of NAUI's divemaster program. It's a pretty rigorous class ... and unlike either PADI or SSI, the student can't choose easier specialty classes to make it through.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The other difference is that PADI instructors cannot require more than "standards" for the student to pass the specialty classes. NAUI instructors can turn a Master Diver class into something that is substantially more than the published course description.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom