Master Diver: A different perspective from an experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI and SSI are basically the same. I looked into both agencies.

If someone wants to cruise by then either agency allows courses easy enough to do so. But both require Stress and Rescue which is a real course and can be pretty tough depending on the instructor.

Last edited:
That, in a nut shell is what sets one class or series of classes apart from any others, no matter what agency you choose.

Not so ... the term means different things to different agencies. If someone wants to become a NAUI Master Diver, they do not get there by taking a series of specialty classes. The NAUI Master Diver is its own class ... in fact, it's the diving skills part of NAUI's divemaster program. It's a pretty rigorous class ... and unlike either PADI or SSI, the student can't choose easier specialty classes to make it through.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What I draw form the original post is that there are really two components to a positive continuing diving education experience. The first is quality instruction by a competent instructor, something echoed throughout many forums on scubaboard. The second, demonstrated by the post and report by bbarnett51, is that the student have a positive attitude and engage in the activities of the class with a purpose in mind. These two things are obviously related. A good instructor will go a long way toward creating a positive attitude and focus with the student(s), and engaged and prepared students certainly will lift most instructors to the top of their game. Some of the instructors I have worked with, though excellent in their teaching skills, find it necessary to bring in negativity- saying negative things about the dive center they work for, or another area center, denigrating another certification agency, or something else. I'm glad bbarnett51 had a good experience. It is the experience EVERYONE should have with their training classes, and could have, with a that kind of positive attitude from all involved.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
Not so ... the term means different things to different agencies. If someone wants to become a NAUI Master Diver, they do not get there by taking a series of specialty classes. The NAUI Master Diver is its own class ... in fact, it's the diving skills part of NAUI's divemaster program. It's a pretty rigorous class ... and unlike either PADI or SSI, the student can't choose easier specialty classes to make it through.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My comment was not specific to the Master Diver certification, but to training at most levels within the industry. You find the right fit for an instructor in any agency and your training can and often will exceed the minimum standards by quite a bit.

I have never been asked for a Boat Diving Certification card, Photography Certifiction card, Night Diving Certification card. Deep Dive Certification card etc. I have been asked for AOW, Nitrox and green backs. Holding a Certification card stating you are a Master Scuba Diver does not make it so, experience under all sorts of conditions does. I leave Tech and Cave out of this as that is a whole different animal

While technically I gather I qualified for the Master Diver threw the agency I did retraining with several years ago, I personally saw no value in it.

This was in great deal for exactly the reasons already posted above by others; such a certification has little meaning if anyone else can "earn" it by taking "filler" classes (like some classes that I took back in my school days :idk:).

This lack of perceived value for the certification was not because of the lds that I was working with. THEY taught well beyond the book, but the agency itself did allow the 'basket weaving' track, so the piece of paper had no value to me.

Ever try weaving a basket underwater? It ain't easy ... especially if they make ya do it while holding a hover ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And I don't want this to be a debate on the Master Diver merit just a positive review of the SSI MD program.

Well, of course this WILL be a debate on MSD--it always comes to that. Sounds like you had a very good experience, as did I. I'll say once again, it all depends of course on the instructor, but also which specialties you take. I wish PADI would require only those that make you a better or safer diver. I listed my thoughts on all the courses before. Then the PADI vs. NAUI thing.....Yes, NAUI's is a course with actual dives required. So are SOME of the PADI specialties. And yes the NAUI course has all the theory the PADI DM course has. It's all good interesting stuff, but much of it is simply knowledge of the "why's" of everything and why doing stuff wrong can get you in trouble. Most of that is in OW course without the detailed explanations. But you can sound smart when asked a question....

I have never been asked for a Boat Diving Certification card, Photography Certifiction card, Night Diving Certification card. Deep Dive Certification card etc. I have been asked for AOW, Nitrox and green backs. Holding a Certification card stating you are a Master Scuba Diver does not make it so, experience under all sorts of conditions does. I leave Tech and Cave out of this as that is a whole different animal

Of course it doesn't. Holding any type of certification doesn't make it so. I would like for you to come try the courses I took off of your current knowledge including the water work and see how you do. You might change your mind pretty quickly about their usefulness.

While technically I gather I qualified for the Master Diver threw the agency I did retraining with several years ago, I personally saw no value in it.

This was in great deal for exactly the reasons already posted above by others; such a certification has little meaning if anyone else can "earn" it by taking "filler" classes (like some classes that I took back in my school days :idk:).

This lack of perceived value for the certification was not because of the lds that I was working with. THEY taught well beyond the book, but the agency itself did allow the 'basket weaving' track, so the piece of paper had no value to me.

You miss the point entirely! YOU STARTED YOU ALREADY DID THE TRAINING AND FOUND IT USEFUL!....If assume. You just didn't want the card. That's fine. Who cares about the card. You wanted training and you got it. Same with must ppl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom