Mass confusion about computers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, the PADI eLearning Open Water curriculum includes teaching tables.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I have a better understanding now of what some computer algorithms are based on.
It’s up to me now to figure out what would be an acceptable level of conservatism vs price vs features.
I did some looking and some of the name brands had some top end models that were quite a bit more than a Shearwater. It seems from everything I’m reading that Shearwater is actually a pretty darn good value everything considered, and is the least “nanny” if you want it that way.

So it’s between a DSAT based Oceanic for an el cheapo beater, or a Shearwater for a nice computer.
I like the idea of a compass, I could remove one more thing off my wrist.
I just need to decide.

My decision was made by actually handling my Petrel in the LDS. Shiny!

The last computer I purchased was a used Uwatec Aladin on eBay for about $35. I am happy with its algorithm as we normally do not dive deep and the dive ops we use limit our bottom time to 60 or 70 minutes.
Could you disclose where did you buy the replacement battery(3.6V AA size with one +ve and 2 -ve tags) in Ontario please? Someone is looking for it.
Cheers.

Could you disclose where did you buy the replacement battery(3.6V AA size with one +ve and 2 -ve tags) in Ontario please? Someone is looking for it.
Cheers.
I buy the batteries via eBay. Generally works out to about $5 a piece mailed directly from China. You just need to buy the battery with the tabs already installed.

In the past you have said your pad your safety stops, so you are not really diving DSAT.
Hi Ken,

I often add 2-3 minutes after clearing my light deco or after coming very close to deco. All the other dives are straight DSAT. Many divers do more shallow time than dictated, both in recreational and technical diving. The safety stop is optional, most divers do it. Shearwater has an adaptive safety stop, is that no longer Buhlmann? What exactly is your point?

How about you, do you always surface at the earliest possible time? I'm not in any particular hurry, an addtional safety buffer is certainly not going to hurt me, whatever you want to call my deco algorithm:)

Good diving, Craig

I did some looking and some of the name brands had some top end models that were quite a bit more than a Shearwater. It seems from everything I’m reading that Shearwater is actually a pretty darn good value everything considered, and is the least “nanny” if you want it that way.

It is. If you want AI and colour screen and replaceable battery, they are pretty much the cheapest option too. If I felt like my cressi is becoming a problem now, that's what I'd be "solving it" with.

Hi Ken,

I often add 2-3 minutes after clearing my light deco or after coming very close to deco. All the other dives are straight DSAT. Many divers do more shallow time than dictated, both in recreational and technical diving. The safety stop is optional, most divers do it. Shearwater has an adaptive safety stop, is that no longer Buhlmann? What exactly is your point?

How about you, do you always surface at the earliest possible time? I'm not in any particular hurry, an addtional safety buffer is certainly not going to hurt me, whatever you want to call my deco algorithm:)

Good diving, Craig

My point is you are not actually diving DSAT and so your experiences are not about DSAT

So, if you are inside the NDL you (Craig) surface with the standard safety stop? And it you are at the NDL (ie close to deco) you pad the safety stop by two to three minutes. This means your surfacing tissue load will be lower than the maximum allowed by the DSAT code in your computer. I suggest that being inside of their envelope means those 1450 dives cannot say anything about whether the edge of the envelope is safe.

Shearwater is never Buhlmann, it is GF which uses elements of Buhlmann. I really want to be able to use 100/100 for bailout on my Perdix but it is not an option, I just have to head for the sky and watch the instantaneous GF number.

“Most divers”? I don’t think anyone knows what most divers do. I do the stops indicated by the computer(s) (including the safety stop on top) and usually get out directly. In warm conditions, places with stuff to look at, or where the dive was a bit bigger or had particular risks I might hang on a bit longer. Here dives involving stops will usually be wrecks with nothing shallow. In my club the usual practice is to do the stops given by the computer and then surface.

Well, some of us knew that from the beginning, but wouldn't want to be intrusive........yeah right!:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom