Masks: Rule 1 No smiling allowed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue-ba:
Botox baby, that is the answer. Tighten the old face up and smiling becomes a rare event.
Eating will tighten your face up too... I don't ever seem to have a problem with mask leaks after the holidays. It doesn't help my drysuit fit any better, but a few extra pounds seems to turn my face into a pretty nice gasket. :D

My mask seldom leaks and I'm smiling every time I hit the water. I've even learned how to smile with regulator in and not draw water.

jd950:
Everyone who already responded has more experience than me, but none of these were suggested:

Glue?

Silicone sealer like they use on aquariums?

Duct tape?

Always think about work while diving to cut down on smiles?

Let me know how these work out. I have just learned to live with the small amounts of water and have made peace with it. It helps prevent fogging and dilutes the nose slime.
I wouldn't even jest about using silicon aquarium sealant near your nose and eyes. That stuff is really toxic.

An instructor I know has a SeaDive X-one (I think Seac-sub actually makes it) that might help. It sort of has a tubular ridge of silicone on the inside of the skirt where one's laugh (smile) lines are.

:rofl3:I always have water in my masks, I have a mustache. I always exhale out my nose with a mask that has a purge valve so it just keeps removing the water.

This is serious business, why are you smiling???:rofl3:

divo:
An instructor I know has a SeaDive X-one (I think Seac-sub actually makes it) that might help. It sort of has a tubular ridge of silicone on the inside of the skirt where one's laugh (smile) lines are.
That is the mask I dive with... Smiles result in leaks and laughter usually results in flooding :)

Wow, laughter? I have laughed to myself but never out loud while diving. What sort of clowns do you dive with?:11:

It must be hell controlling buoyancy with a good belly laugh going. :)

This could be a whole new distinctive specialty "Scuba Comedian"

Pete

I too always have some water in my mask (mustache) I use it too clear any fogging by tilting my head down it clears the fog off the mask...

I don't clear the water out of my mask until it goes higher than the bottom of my nose.

Back
Top Bottom