Smile line leaks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought an expensive prescription mask (unfortunately they didn’t support my usual mask for the lens swap). Tried it dry and it felt great, and even short dives are ok but after an hour it starts to progressively leak more and more, quite odd. Frustrating on those long shore dives to the point I had given up and gone back to my old mask. I will also try some of these tricks in the hopes of salvaging that investment. Thanks for sharing.

B
Cannot find a mask that does not leak.
LDS suggests that it's leaking at my "smile lines" which are getting more pronounced the older I get.
If I pull on my cheeks while under water the mask no leak BUT can't swim around with my hands on my face the whole time.
Tried masks with larger skirt but that didn't do the trick.
Tried LDS and none of their options worked.
Desperate - anyone else out there had masks leak at the cheeks?
If so did you find a fix?
Make? Model?

Thnx - d
Botox

It's counterintuitive but sometimes masks leak due to being overtightened, and thereby exaggering the laugh lines. Have you tried loosening the strap?

Typically it only needs enough tension to keep mask in place at surface.once you go under, a little water pressure will help it gently seal.

Might not work but worth a try.
cant get much looser

You can always use some Dow Corning 111 O-ring silicone lubricant. Just a small smear on the seal of the mask where your leak is and you're good. I used to use it when I had a large moustache and I never had a leak. My wife would use just a small smear on her mask to stop leaks near her temples. It is mask friendly and a small tube will last a long time. Every time we lend a smear to someone on a boat they are amazed at how well it works. The downside is that it can be a bit messy if you are not careful, but it definitely works.
You can find it on Amazon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom