Masks : Function of nose-pockets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny thing,
There are always at least two masks in my gear bag.
:rolleyes:

In DIR isn't the mask pocket the place on your left thigh where you keep your backup mask?

michael

I have been pretty hard on masks in the past year. I've had 3 of them bite the dust. I did have a spare in the bag, but it's far from ideal. I did end up using it the following morning, purchasing a new primary mask in the afternoon.

Pete, I have some lead for you.

why I was feeling so light! We need to schedule the DM classes as well. I will send you my next month's schedule.

Originally posted by Walter
Walter your original answer here was not only the correct one (of course) but nicely done I might add... :)

And is the above quote a threat that Pete should take seriously?:shootemup

Originally posted by jbd
Roakey-never heard that one. Will you enlightment me?
I assume you're talking about the barometer joke and not the nose pocket discussion. :)

Warning: Nerd joke ahead.

I heard this one from my father who used to teach High School physics...

Supposedly on a high school physics test there was a question "How would you use a barometer to measure the height of a building?"

One student answered:

I'd throw the barometer off the top of the building and time how long it took to hit the ground. Then, knowing the acceleration due to gravity, I can calculate the height of the building.

The teacher informed the student that this was not the answer he had in mind, but nevertheless correct, so he’d give him another chance to answer the question for credit. The student’s second answer was:

I’d place the barometer on the ground and measure its height and the length of its shadow. I’d then measure the length of the shadow of the building and calculate the building’s height.

Feel free to embellish away, but the joke goes on with the teacher getting more and more exasperated with the student giving other answers such as:

I’d walk up the staircase, using the barometer to determine how many barometer-heights the building is, then multiply by the barometer height.

I’d tie a string to the barometer and lower it over the side of the building. When the barometer touches the ground I’d measure the length of the string.

And finally, the last answer:

I’d take the barometer and go down to the basement and find the building supervisor. I’d say to him “Sir, here I have a fine barometer, if you will tell me the height of the building, I will give it to you.”

All correct answers to the question, of course:)

Roak

Ps. It seems over the years I've heard a few more options, too.

Originally posted by roakey

Ps. It seems over the years I've heard a few more options, too.
Shoot... I thought it was a trick question with a play on words or something....

Hmmmm.... course my first thought was that a barometer is just an altimeter by another name.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Hmmmm.... course my first thought was that a barometer is just an altimeter by another name.
Nope, other way 'round :)

Originally posted by NetDoc
Why it's important to have a mask with the lens still intact. I think he figured this one out fairly recently... :tease:
So true, some fish just off of Fort Lauderdale by the Sea is seeing things with great clarity. hehehe

Originally posted by Walter
I have been pretty hard on masks in the past year. I've had 3 of them bite the dust. I did have a spare in the bag, but it's far from ideal. I did end up using it the following morning, purchasing a new primary mask in the afternoon.

but you were having so much fun with your son's. hehehe

Yeah, forgot, thanks for the loan of the weight Pete. A perfect selection to use for both the fresh and salt water diving

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom