MASKS- Color Correcting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinkbubbles

Reaction score
???????
What’s the story on the color-correcting mask?
Do they work? I found one in a catalog for 70$.

I’m wondering if the difference is worth buying another mask?

Actually, the difference IS worth it to me if it makes a difference.

I'm not happy with my mask. Too much water under my nose.
I have to clear it constantly.
Some say that's normal, some say I (female)was not fitted properly.

The space of my top lip must be too small. When the reg's in it pushes my lip up and I'm guessing that's interfering with the fit of the mask. Just about any facial movement causes a bit of leaking.
Is that acceptable?
I'm I being too picky?
I want it to be right.

Any ideas????

THANKS!!!!

Originally posted by pinkbubbles
What’s the story on the color-correcting mask? Do they work? I found one in a catalog for 70$. I’m wondering if the difference is worth buying another mask? Actually, the difference IS worth it to me if it makes a difference. I'm not happy with my mask. Too much water under my nose. I have to clear it constantly. Some say that's normal, some say I (female)was not fitted properly. The space of my top lip must be too small. When the reg's in it pushes my lip up and I'm guessing that's interfering with the fit of the mask. Just about any facial movement causes a bit of leaking.

Is that acceptable?
I'm I being too picky?
I want it to be right.

... don't know if the color adjusting masks work or not, the ads do seem interesting though.

I don't think a mask that has "too much water under" your nose is right. I am assuming that you mean water is constantly getting into your mask from under your nose..... if this assumption is correct... from what you say, your mask does not seem to be fitting right.

Some masks simply do not fit all faces. You sort of have to do suction test - don't use strap, * breath in with nose, tug ---- does it stay? (with you saying about the reg, add reg in mouth at *) if it doesn't, your mask probably is not the right one.

just my 0.02 worth -- and I'm sure you'll get other opinions.

The only masks I've ever had were SeaVision with color lenses. So I can't fairly say if they work or not because I've never used clear lenses.

However....Beast has both clear and color ones. He says he can tell the biggest difference between 40 and 60ft in clear water. The reds, pinks, purples, etc. are still visible at those depths, though not as bright as in shallow water. Below 60 feet there's no difference. In shallow water, all colors are a bit more vibrant.

The only time I notice a color difference is on the surface. The sky is a light lavender color. And no, they aren't too dark for night dives.

As for fit, all masks can and usually will hold a little water in the nose pocket...just get used to it! But if there seems to be a constant leak then it's probably the fit of the mask. And it may not be coming from your upper lip. When you're swimming along, remember the nose pocket is the lowest part and that's where any water leakage will accumulate.

Definitely try any mask on before you buy one. SeaVision is the only color lensed mask I've ever seen in a dive shop in order to try it on.

HTH

I dont know nothing from Color or color correcting..

But my girl friend has the same 'pushed up lip' problem. We used to laugh about it and assumed it was normal. Hwoever, we found out that it is actually a problem. The mask she has is to big for her face and the skirt below the nose is to wide.

So, without actually seeing your situation I would definately hazard to say that you have a mask that is to big for your face.

The only time my mask leaks is when I get really happy underwater and cant prevent myself from a big big smle...Then a small trickle starts in at the laugh lines.

Hope this helps.

SpyderTek

I think color correction is just a way to charge more for a mask that will let you see the sky, on the surface, in a different color. It may look cool, but if you really want a color correction, take a good light with you when you dive.

Don't know much about the color lenses, but I've always been curious.

About the mask, I think it is too big. Try on other masks, and take a spare reg mouthpiece with you. Or your snorkel. Try the mask on with the mouthpiece (you may feel silly) but make sure your mask still holds the seal with it in your mouth.

Things to look for besides around your mouth: The inner skirt should seal outside your eye sockets, especially the little "dent" at the corner of your eyes, and it should not cut through your eyebrows.

Also, make sure you feel NO pressure at the bottom of the nose, and between your eyebrows. The inner skirt should fit your bone structure.

I think the mask is one of the hardest things to fit. If you have a small (narrow) face, try the Splendive (Tusa). I have an Imprex by Tusa, and it has survived everything (even "cat attacks"!). Just find one that fits you.

Light filters work by removing light. They don’t “add” colors. The reason the lenses look red, or whatever, is because they block all the other wavelengths of light except red. You learned that red is the first color to be filtered out by water as you descend, so you have the water filtering out the red and your mask filtering out the rest of the wavelengths. What kind of sense does that make?

The color correcting lenses work well in 20 feet of absolutely clear water by knocking down the other wavelengths so they are in better proportion to the reduced red wavelengths. If a 20-foot dive in crystal clear water is the only kind of dive you’re going to do, for all means go for it. Under any other conditions they rob you of the light you need to see.

A dive light is the best tool available to restore colors to underwater objects, day or night.

Roak

My first set of lenses from Seavision were the pink "colour correcting" ones. They worked as advertised, but DID cut down on the amount of light coming through. Not a real "problem" per se, but definitely noticeable on night dives.

Also, the Official Photographer (aka Pearce) complained that they obscured my eyes in photos.

So, when my script changed I reverted to regular clear lenses. I really don't miss the "colour correction" thing; probably because I only used them for that couple of years.

Like roak said, a good light is probably more useful for detecting "true colours" underwater than the tinted lenses.

~SubMariner~

Hi Pinkbubbles

Your mask is too big. I used to have exactly that problem and I have a small face. Now I'mm diving with a childrens mask(I think it's a Miniklein from TUSA) Never leaking a drop anymore :mean:

Back
Top Bottom