masks and corrected vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got hold of HO and they do have a larger skirt - my mask is on backorder however, but they will let me know in a few weeks.

After today's dive I think I'll have to go back to my old mask till the new one arrives - I thought this mask fit just a "little" bit off, but when I looked down today I could see light coming in through the bottom of the skirt in 2 places ... every time I move a facial muscle the mask fills 1/3 - 1/2 with water ... I don't mind a little flooding, but today it was breathe, breathe, clear mask, breathe breath, clear mask ... Tried moving it around on my face and that didn't help... I did notice that I was getting quite distracted trying to keep it cleared and that is dangerous, so guess I'll have to go back to the old ways for a month or so :( too bad as I am really getting to love the view.

Please keep us posted when you get the new, larger skirt. Good to hear if you can make it fit properly.

Nice to learn they have diff size skirts also. Now where is the next Dive sale they will be at...

I use soft contacts with a Mares X-Vision. Works fine, I have spares in my Pelican case but haven't ever needed them.

We have RX lenses that are fully ground edge to edge in stock to fit some masks. They range from -1.5 to -8.0. Tempered lenses that meet safe scuba standards, not the plastic layered ones. These are much less expensive than having them individually ground for you. I have a divemaster that uses this type of mask. We carry several masks that can use this type of lens, here is one of them:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_oceanways_prescription_optical.cfm

If you don't want stock lenses and you don't mind paying a lot more, we use Seavision and they will grind them to your exact RX, costs more but they do a great job, and we also have an eye doc that does a great job making lenses for masks.

Scuba really is a visual sport, so take care of your eyes. The HO mask is for people with -4.5 vision, if yours is above or below that you'll have to wear contacts with it.

Good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

The post from CrazyScuba is not accurate. He wrote:
These work if you're a -4.5, anything above or below you have to wear contact lenses with it.
This chart clearly shows that for divers under age 30, between -2.5 to -6.0 (eyeglass Rx) works great. For divers over 40, the range narrows to -4.0 to -6.0. AND the "Magic Bifocal" phenomenon has been the BIG reason why hundreds of 20/20 divers are now wearing contacts.

Many20/20 teenagers, who's young eyes can comfortably focus close for hours, use our Double-Dome mask with NO contacts.

WHAT'S NEW:
HydroOptix (my company) makes high-index custom-ground glass lenses that will exactly match your Rx. The glass completely fills the opening of our very popular 2-window design. AND we mold, grind and polish lenses to fit other popular 2-window masks. We compensate your Rx for the increased distance between the inside of the lens to your eye ("Vertex-distance"), so the net effect matches what you would expect from properly made eyeglasses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom