Mask strap for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilghost

New
Reaction score
Hey, is there any reason why you wouldn't use an underwater rugby mask strap for scuba? I'm a long time diver, but have always dived using a mask with a classic silicone strap. I recently got into playing underwater rugby and have an atomic prescription mask, but with a nylon clip strap for UWR. Instead of wearing contacts and using my second mask for diving, I want to just use the one mask for both sports.

This is a UWR strap:
mask-canamstrap-2.jpg

For UWR, it means that if you get hit in the face, your mask stays in place. It is obviously still possible to clear your mask if water gets in or if it get fogged, which is why I don't really see why you couldn't dive with one of these, and it would sure as heck make it less likely for your mask to ever fall off, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone dive with these kinds of straps before.

Hey, is there any reason why you wouldn't use an underwater rugby mask strap for scuba? I'm a long time diver, but have always dived using a mask with a classic silicone strap. I recently got into playing underwater rugby and have an atomic prescription mask, but with a nylon clip strap for UWR. Instead of wearing contacts and using my second mask for diving, I want to just use the one mask for both sports.

This is a UWR strap:
View attachment 565839

For UWR, it means that if you get hit in the face, your mask stays in place. It is obviously still possible to clear your mask if water gets in or if it get fogged, which is why I don't really see why you couldn't dive with one of these, and it would sure as heck make it less likely for your mask to ever fall off, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone dive with these kinds of straps before.

While there is no reason that I can think of to not use an UWR type strap for SCUBA, in 25 years of diving I have never seen anyone's mask just fall off. I would not doubt there are occasions where mask straps have broken in the water during a dive, but I personally have not witnessed this...all masked strap failures that I have witnessed have occurred when donning/doffing the mask before or after a dive when the strap is being stressed.

I often dive in areas with lots of traffic/congestion by inconsiderate and unaware local divers. On occasion I have received a fin to the face but have never had my mask come off.

If the start point of my dive is planned to be a significant hike from the car, I will carry a spare mask in a pocket for insurance in case of a casualty at water's edge.

I believe that the reason why divers do not use the type of strap you show is because it does not come with the masks most divers buy and the straps that do typically come on masks that divers buy are "good enough".

Those divers, like you, that evaluate their needs/desires to be different than what the typical silicone mask strap provides for will often seek out inventive ways to satisfy their requirement as you have done/are doing.

-Z

‘If it ain’t broke’..I don’t see any real advantage of this system and wouldn’t really use it.

I suspect that you may have invented this and are trying to guage if there would be enough interest in taking it to manufacture under the guise of ‘hey guys, look what I found’ ...maybe? :)

I think you would really have to argue an advantage to get people to change. Maybe it’s more conducive to having hair? Less tangle etc?

good luck though..

‘If it ain’t broke’..I don’t see any real advantage of this system and wouldn’t really use it.

I suspect that you may have invented this and are trying to guage if there would be enough interest in taking it to manufacture under the guise of ‘hey guys, look what I found’ :)

I think you would really have to argue an advantage to get people to change. Maybe it’s more conducive to having hair? Less tangle etc?

good luck though..

It isn't broken just not working 100% for the OP
OP said contacts, he's trying to keep his contacts from getting washed out if his mask gets removed during a dive.

I may buy one Mrs.AD she wears contacts snorkeling. Thanks for the idea @lilghost

I meant. ‘If it ain’t broke for me’ ...that’s the reason I likely wouldn’t wear it.. I wear contacts and have personally never had them washed out.. *shrugs*

I can certainly see why you would only use this mask if you were playing rugby anway.. no point having 2, but I likely wouldn’t have it for my backup as more straps mean more straps to get caught/tangled in my buttbag when trying to retrieve it in an emergency. I want less straps to get caught on stuff, not more. Including in wrecks. It’s ‘higher profile’ and could get hooked on something in close quarters diving.

opinion asked for- opinion given.

Haha, I definitely didn’t invent it, but thanks for having that kind of faith in me! This strap is standard for underwater rugby and hockey, and has been used in those sports for years *shrug* you can buy them yourself online, my university UWR club purchase our equipment from CanAm underwater hockey gear.

I have no problem with silicone/regular straps, I honestly prefer those straps over this one simply for ease of use! I highly doubt there would be any advantages for this type of strap for diving; I just wanted to know if there were any obvious disadvantages. Since changing the strap on my good mask from silicon to nylon and back again on a weekly basis to alternate use between diving/rugby would be time consuming (and pointless IMO).

Obviously I should just own two masks, but my fancy prescription mask was expensive and I don't want to buy another fancy mask just for the sake of a silicon strap.

I'm guessing the "if ain't broke" reason is why. But without having ever heard of this UWR strap (or UWR for that matter!), here are a few guesses which are actually more rhetorical questions.

1. Possible issues with gas sharing if diving a long hose due to the metal bar.

2. Perhaps a bit cumbersome for those with long hair (eg ponytail).

3. Are the straps nylon webbing? If so, not stretchy so suboptimal for use with thick hoods. If worn over the hood, then how does neoprene compression affect things. If over the hood, problems with increased water flow?

4. Metal bar may decrease head clearance with tank valve (single tank).

5. If this strap is also on a spare, then may be cumbersome inside the pocket.

6. Ease of putting back on if in some event it does get knocked off? I practice removing, replacing and clearing my mask with one hand. Not sure I can do so as efficiently with this.

7. Looks funny ;p

I can only really think of the disadvantages being the entanglement issue and it being a lot less comfortable, especially if you are a cue ball like me..

it’s for for purpose for uwr though for sure..

I'm guessing the "if ain't broke" reason is why. But without having ever heard of this UWR strap (or UWR for that matter!), here are a few guesses which are actually more rhetorical questions.

1. Possible issues with gas sharing if diving a long hose due to the metal bar.

2. Perhaps a bit cumbersome for those with long hair (eg ponytail).

3. Are the straps nylon webbing? If so, not stretchy so suboptimal for use with thick hoods. If worn over the hood, then how does neoprene compression affect things. If over the hood, problems with increased water flow?

4. Metal bar may decrease head clearance with tank valve (single tank).

5. If this strap is also on a spare, then may be cumbersome inside the pocket.

6. Ease of putting back on if in some event it does get knocked off? I practice removing, replacing and clearing my mask with one hand. Not sure I can do so as efficiently with this.

7. Looks funny ;p

What metal bar?

What metal bar?
My mistake, I didn't make it out clearly on my small phone screen. Looks to be clear plastic tubing over a vertical piece of webbing on the back.

Now that I've typed this, what's the function of said tubing?

Back
Top Bottom