mask squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nobscure once bubbled...
Yeah, I was actually using a large volume mask

yes, it was on tight.
A couple of tips suggest themselves Nathan:

1. Get a small volume mask. They are beneficial in several respects... one of which is that they require less equalization and are easier to equilize when you do. The second is that they are much easier to clear of water.

2. Keep your strap fairly loose and your mask is less likely to squeeze and also less likely to leak! The seal on the mask needs to have some play in order for it to fit the contours of your face... if you crank it down tight in an attempt to keep it from leaking.. it will leak for sure! Plus there will not be any flex left to compensate for compression and your eyes will need to fill the void
:wink:

nobscure once bubbled...
:whack:
I went diving this past weekend and in my limited number of dives I got what I guess you can call is mask squeeze. The pressure in the mask wasnt equal in the surrounding water and it burst a blood vessel in both my eyes. Is this common? Please tell me I am not the only one. Is the a remedy other than let it run its course? Thanks guys

nathan

You popped blood vessels in your eyes?!?! That one, unfortunately, is not usually something that should happen.

Make sure your mask isn't too tight - if it almost feels like it's being squeezed onto your face on the surface, it's too tight. It should just be tight enough to keep water out when you stick your face in the water on the surface.

To equalize it, you should just be able to blow a little air out your nose - try it on the surface and make sure it's not too hard. Air should be able to leak out pretty easily. With me, I let the mask get a little pressurized and then if I blow out right, I can equalize my ears and mask at the same time...it's pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom