mask squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nobscure

Reaction score
:whack:
I went diving this past weekend and in my limited number of dives I got what I guess you can call is mask squeeze. The pressure in the mask wasnt equal in the surrounding water and it burst a blood vessel in both my eyes. Is this common? Please tell me I am not the only one. Is the a remedy other than let it run its course? Thanks guys

nathan

Loosen up on the strap maybe and breathe out through your nose to balance the pressures.

nobscure once bubbled...
:whack:
I went diving this past weekend and in my limited number of dives I got what I guess you can call is mask squeeze. The pressure in the mask wasnt equal in the surrounding water and it burst a blood vessel in both my eyes. Is this common? Please tell me I am not the only one. Is the a remedy other than let it run its course? Thanks guys

nathan

You have to exhale slightly through your nose to keep the pressure equal. This should be one of the first things taught in OW. Were these your first dives? Did your instructor teach you about mask squeeze?

Yes, it happens. But it happens because you're not equalizing your mask. You have to remember to equalize through your nose before you get the sensation that your eyes are bulging out of your head....

Just remember... clear ears, equalize mask...

My instructor never told me about mask squeeze. I am still a very inexperienced diver. In my other limited about of dives (10) I had never had this problem. So, it was a first for me. But, thanks for all your help guys.

nathan

If your instructor really didn't mention it, as opposed to you forgetting it, he/she needs to find a new line of work because he/she is negligent in this omission.

nobscure... the above responses are correct on how to eliminate mask squeeze... but let me make two additional *guesses*:

You were using a large volume mask.... maybe even a Mares ESA.
You had your mask on tight to keep it from leaking.

Well?

One thing to add here, pointed out by my instructor to some people in my OW class who had problems with mask squeeze and with mask clearing, that stemmed from wearing the mask to high on their face, the net result was that there wasn't enough space in the mask below their nose to either equalise or exhale to effectively clear.

I'm a new diver as well, and out of the (5) dives I've done so far, I only had that problem twice. My instructor kept stressing the fact that you must slightly breathe out through your nose to equalize the pressure.

Refer back to your manual. I do so time to time again when I'm not sure about something.

I hope your eyes are feeling/looking better.

Yeah, I was actually using a large volume mask that was not mine at all. It was a friend of mine's. And yes, it was on tight. I like it tight to my face but after this instance I would rather make it looser and be safe and than walk around like a demon all the time. Once again, thanks for all the advice and info.

nathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom