mask sliding up as I go deeper - common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knfmkr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My mask slides up closer to and eventually presses against my nostrils more the deeper I go (still only down to 13' in the OWC class).

Is this common?

If I tighten the mask down, it causes other problems like not being able to clear it well.

My mask is a Tusa Freedom HD

Thoughts?

Make sure you breathe out into your mask every now and again to stop it squeezing.

And if it moves, just slide it back?!

Are you wearing a hood?

Im guessing we're talking confined (pool) here as that isnt deep enough for an open water dive?

tomorrow is my last class before open water. If I need to swap a mask, would love to test it tomorrow first.

Yes - confined water right now.

I do breathe out of my nose occasionally involuntarily and am working on controlling that. My mask ends up "pushed out" a little, rather than squeezed up against me. That's when it slips. I find myself constantly pushing on the lenses to get it "stay put".

1) Are you wearing a hood? Make sure if fits close to the face and is vented to let bubbles out.

2) Are you loaded up with snot? About an hour into a dive (like clockwork) my mask will squeeze and get weird. The cure is to pinch one nostril at a time and blow it clear.

spectrum - no hood. I do get "nose-leakage" now and then...and now that I think about it...it *does* make it worse.

Is your mask strap tight? It sounds as if something is pulling your mask upwards. I'd try loosening the strap a little and moving it a bit down on the back of your head.

Just in case you haven't heard it from your instructor: the mask strap should be just tight enough to keep your mask on your face, and not tighter than that

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

You might want to try a different mask. It took me a couple of years to finally find a mask that works "just right" for me (got a weird shaped face I guess). Once I found my current mask (Cressi Nano), all the little nagging mask issues I had went away.

Good Luck.

Best,
-Tim

It might be that the mask is just not right for you but more likely that your mask strap isn't far enough on the back of your head AND that you've got your mask strap tightened up too much. Even after all this time, on certain dives, I'll find that my mask is just not situated right. Generally all I have to do is reposition the strap farther down the back of my head and all is well.

1) Are you wearing a hood? Make sure if fits close to the face and is vented to let bubbles out.

2) Are you loaded up with snot? About an hour into a dive (like clockwork) my mask will squeeze and get weird. The cure is to pinch one nostril at a time and blow it clear.

#1 was my issue. Jimw or DiveDivaDM (aka Scuba Dad & Mom) told me to use a soldering iron and put holes on the top of my hood. What a difference! In this video, you can see bubbles coming out of my hood after exhales. Fast Forward to 4:10. I'm the guy on the right asking what another diver is pointing at and then having a holy s**t moment when I realize there's a really large eel that I couldn't see around the ledge. Bubbles are clearly coming out of my hood.

[video=youtube;rLzCruDRdRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzCruDRdRY[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom