Mask Defogger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have "cat crap" and use it for my regular glasses when hiking in winter. It works OK for that but doesn't work on the mask too well. I tried it when I began open water classes.

Wayward Son:
I use toothpaste. Plain old Pepsodent, about $0.97 for a large tube at Walmart. One tube lasts several diver quite a while. Prior to each dive I get the mask wet, rub a little tp all over the inside, then rinse it out.

This is fine for glass. I wouldn't use any abrasive on a plastic or polycarbonate lens mask.

Use the Gel type, then. Okay'ed for use on even a Hydro-Optix brand mask.

Do it before every dive.

Wayward Son, you can repeat this forever, but the search for the holy grail of something special for De-Frogger will never end.

Spit from Sweedish Virgins on a full moon. It must work, it's only $9.95 on the checkout counter of my LDS.

Toothpaste. That will never work.

I echo scubaren's comments

I'm with you Rich, spit, I never leave home without it!!

RoatanMan:
Use the Gel type, then. Okay'ed for use on even a Hydro-Optix brand mask.

Do it before every dive.

Wayward Son, you can repeat this forever, but the search for the holy grail of something special for De-Frogger will never end.

Spit from Sweedish Virgins on a full moon. It must work, it's only $9.95 on the checkout counter of my LDS.

Toothpaste. That will never work.

I agree with Doc RoatanMan. Toothpaste on a new mask to abrade the silicon release agent from the "rubber" molding that may get on the glass. After that any kind of "wetting agent" works. Saliva at the bottom. Than any type of soap. Baby shampoo is used because it is mild on the eyes. Any green, watermellon or head and shoulders would work but may be an irritant. The high priced stuff may be better but is academic. Let a little water in and slosh, clear your mask and go on.

On a diving vacation a dive may run in the $100 range. If you spend fifty cents or five dollars a year on mask defog, so be it.

Cagemaker

P.S. Doc, at CCV, the ladies were impressed with my tongue roll.

Have tried the paste and the poo...shampoo that is...
spit works the best for me...happy diving all!

The Kraken:
I used to use spit but my tobbaco juice kept staining my lens.

And it grossed out everyone on the dive boats . . .
Lemon joy dish detergent works all day long. Put it on your finger, smear it around, and then rinse it out. Don't wipe!

Yes and SeaDrops dont burn your eyes.

I have to vote with Spit.. I never leave it at home!! and it doesn't bother my eyes... I have had some pretty bad allergic reactions to some defogs..

Back
Top Bottom