mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjanwo

Reaction score
hi..im new here and new to diving...i went and read a ton of threads going back 79 pages..i found alot of issues concerning mask clearing....i got all the advice i could from reading(i dont start my lessons for two weeks) and went to my pool...i went in and i started by sticking my head underwater and i immediately started blowing bubbles out of my nose..i then opened my mouth under water and i guess i equalized or what ever and still blew bubbles out of my nose with my mouth open...no water intake...my question is..is the mask clearing thing a physical thing or in a person's mind because i had no problem...mind you i have been swimming since i was 5.

Like many of the skills in open water, it's physically pretty simple to accomplish, but there is something about having a mask full of water that's disconcerting, even more so than having no mask on.

Oddly I had no difficulty with the skill in the pool when we practiced, but when I had to do it in the open water dives for the first time, the salt water up my nose seemed to make the skill much harder. But that's probably because it was the first time I'd ever swum in salt water.

I've done 17 dives since then, and I don't even think about flooding or clearing my mask any more, I just do it.

Just remember that the water up your nose isn't interfering with your breathing, it might take an effort to remember this the first time. :wink:

Swimming since you were 5 certainly will not hurt your comfort level in the water, but keep in mind...your entering a whole new ball game and your about to step up to the plate.

Keep an open mind!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom