Mask Clearing Video for Noobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those Force Fins really make the video, I think.

You guys are too much...really. :rofl3:

Now, I have a question about the second video because this is something I've been working on improving a lot. I was in the pool yesterday and did nothing but practice mask clearing and mask removal/replacement the entire time before I even saw this video.

When I'm watching the water leave my mask, I also notice a lot of bubbles going to the surface, so I must be blowing way too hard. (Explains why he can do it 4 or 5 times to my one time, I guess). I'll practice using less air next time.

I also couldn't quite tell, but it appears as if he is pulling out slightly on the bottom of his mask. Is he? I was taught to only push on the top. I did play around with this yesterday though and I noticed that if I pulled out just slightly on the bottom (not pull it open, but just out a little), I would get a better clear.

And last, he's holding his breath (well--not breathing in). At least it appears as if the top of the snorkle is under water--maybe not. Is it ok to hold your breath while you're clearing a flooded mask, or remove/replace in a real situation? Cause I can do that just fine. What I have trouble with, is trying to breath in from my reg without getting any water in my nose. I'm not breathing water in my nose--it just kind of trickles in after a few breaths and ends up in my throat. Is this normal or do I need to keep practicing? I practiced this yesterday with just my snorkle and I can breath for a little while with my face in the water/no mask, but after a few breaths--maybe five--I can feel the water start to trickle in my nose and down my throat. If I can just not breath while I'm removing/replacing my mask, that would be fine, otherwise; I just eventually end up pinching my nose if I'm taking a breath in. But I think one thing the first video is trying to show at one point, is that after he flooded his mask, he stopped to show his hand going towards and away from the regulator. I think he's trying to make the point that you should never stop breathing.

With the fist closed and then opened, I'm not quite sure what he meant by that either, but before I read other's comments, I kind of came to the conclusion that he was telling me he wanted to see my eyes open? Or, he wanted me to leave the mask flooded for 5 seconds and breath? Not sure.

Anyway...they were both helpful to me...but the first video would have been more helpful had he cut to a closeup of the mask filling up and then the clearing. Or even better, a smaller frame in the corner with that clip in it.

Tigerman:
..snip..
6. Watch me emptying my BC for no reason whatsoever..
..snip..

He obviously empties his BC to ensure that the manoeuvre will be done in a stable kneeling position and there is no danger of accidentally going into the dreaded hover position while concentrating on the clearing.

I got the impression that a lot of his hand signals are intended to convey that he is exhaling.

He is being Slow and deliberate. makeing SURE the students know what is going on.

The BC is for new Students that are just under water in the pool for the first or seconed time. Empty you BC.

He isn't checking his 2nd stage he is showing the students that they need to keep breathing and Never hold your breath.

I thought is was great that is what some students require so you have to do it in all OWD classes.

...mask clearing is first done on scuba in PADI classes? :confused:

SparticleBrane:
I believe that's the case, it's considered too stressful to do breatholding.

SparticleBrane:

We did our first mask clearing exercises on scuba in the shallow end. If anyone has a problem, they just stand up. My wife did have a problem (couldn't get the mask to clear, turned out it had a big tear in the silicone that she had not seen earlier) and did have to stand up to figure out what was going wrong. No big deal.

I would think the alternative of teaching mask clears without scuba would be a bad thing... you'd have people holding their breath while trying to go through the exercise. Not good.

I hope this person doing the demonstrating watches the video. It's a prime example of how to utterly confuse students. That was ridiculous! Although I did not watch SparticleBrane's video, it HAD to be much better. If that person is really a course director, it's sad. Wow!

Mask clearing can be made a simple(r) task than most folks build it up to be.

DeltaWardog:
I would think the alternative of teaching mask clears without scuba would be a bad thing... you'd have people holding their breath while trying to go through the exercise. Not good.
Mask clearing, IMHO, is a skin-diving skill that works on scuba too. Thus I believe it should be taught first while learning to skin dive, then there are zero issues while doing it on scuba.
It's hard to hold your breath when you're working on clearing your mask 8 times on one breath...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom