Marsh alarm or hurghada for Mar h diving trip? Any advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike46

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I have had our weeks dive holiday in Sharm cancelled and we're thinking of still going to Egypt. Any advice on location and dive centres would be greatly appreciated.

Do these terrorists not understand the importance of diving location?

Having returned from Egypt in late August and having dived out of both Hurghada and Marsa Alam, my opinion would be that there are more options out of Hurghada. However, I wouldn't see fit to recommend the dive operator we dove with out of Hurghada. They were among the worst I've ever had the misfortune to dive with. There are plenty of others there though.

The boat I was on in Nov reported lots of shark sightings at the big offshore sites: Daedalus, Rocky Island, Brothers, Elphinstone. The boat had been both back and forth between north and south all fall and the guides and our trip leader seemed to think the nicer, more colorful reefs and were now in the deep south.
On the other hand we did northern wrecks and reefs and more turtles, dolphins and cuttlefish than I saw 2 yrs ago at the same sites. A sizeable group of dolphins (11 if I remember correctly - we saw them too on 2 of our 3 dives there) has been hanging out at Abu Nuhas; I keep hearing about them and seeing much the same photos on FB.
Unfortunately direct flights from Europe to either location are becoming very difficult to find.

Hi,

Hurghada to Marsa Alam is always windy to some extend especially in March unlike Sharm El Sheikh and Ras Mohammed which is more protected from northern winds.

Have a look at Soma Bay excellent off-shore diving. Check the Orca Dive Clubs homepage for details.

Also check Aquarius Diving Club, Makadi Bay.

( plenty of direct flights from Europe to Hurghada, especially from the UK and Germany, even tiny Luxembourg have a weekly direct flight )

I went to the dive camp in Shagra at the end of March last year and I was very happy with it. You can dive all you want on and around the house reef either from the shore or by Zodiac and there are several trips a day to places like Elphinstone or Marsa Abu Dabab. I am more of a wreck and cave diver but I enjoyed the diving and atmosphere of the place and my girlfriend, whom is a newer diver, just loved the pl and that she could take things at her own pace in the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom