Marsa Alam (Marsa Shagra) or Hurghada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ayshe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We have a trip to Egypt coming up in a couple of weeks. Initially, we wanted to stay at Marsa Shagra based on the great reviews of the place and the diving, but we don't like the sound of the 3.5 hr drive from the airport. Are there any similar operations in Hurghada or is it worth the drive? The plan is 5 days of diving before doing the ancient sites - so we aren't thinking about any other activities in those 5 days.

Fly to Marsa alam. Or go to Hurgada for a cruise. If you cannot fly to Marsa alam, then go to Safaga. Much better diving than Hurgada on a daily basis. Be aware that most clubs are closed in January/early february because the wtare is pretty cold ( 20°C°)

I did a course at Marsa Shagra last January. It is a nice and relaxed place to stay, the diving is easy and you get to choose when you dive. The house reef is good and there is the option of diving further afield using the boats.

We took drysuits but my girlfriend decided to use a 5mm. Out of the water it could be cool in the wind so take a jumper and hat, maybe a wind proof jacket. I was walking about wearing a fourth element artic undersuit top.

I will be going back.

Change your flight if you can though.

Thanks for the responses everyone, the flights to Marsa Alam (apart from being more expensive) are only three times a week and didn't work with our dates so we thought Hurghada was the only option. The resort does have great reviews so it might be worth the journey.

the drive isn't really that bad as the motorway / highway when i was last was in pretty good condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom