Hurghada/Soma Bay recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am planning a holiday on the Red Sea with my family in Autumn. I am diving, but my spouse and child will be snorkeling. We'll be flying into Hurghada but I'm more interested in going outside of the busyness of the city (unfortunately Marsa Alam will be too far to go to).

So... I am after the holy grail :) I'd like to find a resort:
- with a house reef, so I can snorkel with the fam
- but also go for dives that won't take me a full day
- with a diving centre within the hotel, I'd like to avoid transfers
- and my spouse likes a really nice hotel

I've looked into the Steinberger in Soma Bay, which would tick the boxes in terms of hotel standard, but I'm unsure about their house reef + I'd need to get a transfer to a dive centre outside of the hotel.

Has anyone got any recommendations?
Thanks!

I can't comment on the Steinberger, SOMA Bay house reef but what I can tell you though is that a 10-15 min drive from there is the Sharm El-Naga house reef, which I just did last week and it's incredible. I am a 100% sure that your hotel can arrange for transfers to and from the Sharm El-Naga dive center, given that it's just 10mins away; (FYI - private transfers tend to be pricey compared to Hurghada but overall they're still cheap compared to the rest of the world. Uber is the cheapest but I didn't use it, so I can't vouch for reliability etc. I have heard instances of it working great and also instances of Uber drivers scamming passengers, so it sounds like a mixed bag).

The resort at Sharm El-Naga is really basic, so I'd definitely say you're better off at the Steinberger in Soma Bay. Given the proximity of the resort to Sharm El-Naga you should have no problems completing 2 dives in half a day. The house reef has a left and a right side and I did both within half a day with lunch in between.

Also, if you get a transfer into Hurghada from Soma Bay (about 30mins) there are 2 wrecks that you can dive from the shore/close to the shore itself within half a day: Susana Wreck (old liveaboard) and El Mina Wreck (old sunk Egypitan Minesweeper). I did all my diving (12 total) with Dive Too Diving Centre in the Seagull resort in Hurghada. Highly recommend them. All diving shops in Hurghada organize pick-ups from Soma Bay for a fee.

I’ve also heard good about Sharm El Naga as a dive spot. However, if you want to avoid transfer and have some convenient snorkelling and diving, the address is the ORCA shop located by the Breakers. Just walk down the promenade and you will find it.

It would be worth looking at the Sheraton at Soma Bay, apart from Breakers it is the closest hotel to Orca Dive Centre, it is also close to Breaker’s jetty. Excellent snorkelling from the jetty and lots of diving options with Orca. If you request a room close to the dive centre you would probably be a 2-3 minute walk away.

You can also dive the house reef at Orca/the Breakers - that might be easier than mucking around with transfers to Sharm El Naga

I can't comment on the Steinberger, SOMA Bay house reef but there's an interesting article here.

That link takes you a review of the Steigenberger at Coraya Bay, which is a different hotel a couple of hours south of Soma Bay. It gives an accurate description of the snorkelling in Coraya Bay, although I think it has deteriorated over the years due to amount of building work around the bay.

That link takes you a review of the Steigenberger at Coraya Bay, which is a different hotel a couple of hours south of Soma Bay. It gives an accurate description of the snorkelling in Coraya Bay, although I think it has deteriorated over the years due to amount of building work around the bay.
Oops. Fixed it.

I would have a look at Robinson if I was in your shoes, it’s a club style hotel, might be better with the family, a bit further to the jetty. Kempinski is the other posh hotel in the neighborhood. But if you want to be closest to the jetty and dc, Sheraton might be the compromise.

the perfect fit for you
20 min south from soma bay, gassous bay
hotel called coral sun beach and next to you dive with orca coral garden. realy nice snorkeling, housereef and all in hotel

Back
Top Bottom