• Technical (wreck) and Married

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Technical (cave) and Single

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Technical (cave) and Married

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats what my wife says...im crazy. I love deep wrecks....something about touching rusted metal that few others do! When I first went into tech training I was really torn about the possibility of being severly bent or whatever not so happy thing that can potentially happen to you everytime that you go down (rec or tec). On one hand I have a great life above the water and on the other I have a great life above the water combined with an out of this world experience deep below the surface. Becoming tec certified rejuvinated my love of diving and, I believe, not only made me a better diver but made me appreciate the welcome home kisses I get from my wife everytime I get home from a deep wreck.

kidspot:
Interesting that there are more married divers in each category than singles - I'd think that it would be the other way around, if only from the "financial" concern aspect... But I'll add my vote to the "single rec" category :D
I'd expect that - more people are married than single, and within age groups that dive more (there's a recent poll on SB on ages of people that dive) the percent married is probably higher. Snagged this random statistic from someplace, it's from 1998 - "About 56% of American adults in 1998 were married and living with their spouse. Another 24% had never married, 7% were widowed. and 10% were divorced."

Some married couples have financial concerns with kids and such, but many also have 2 incomes and sometimes no kids, or the kids have grown up. When both dive, the built in dive buddy encourages diving. I travel to dive, and I'd estimate the divers on the trips we go on are at least 80% married couples.

:rofl:

At 200ft, you cant hear her nagging....

what a t-shirt...

I voted. While I am married I dive more without my husband then with him. And even when I'm with him, there are times when he goes off and leaves me.
He's much more of a solo diver, which has made me one now too. :)

Janeane and I are both active divers working on going the Tech route. We dive within the NDLs now, but with any luck (and a lot of practice/training), we're looking at taking Tech 1 by late August, 2005. We dive about once a week at the moment, and completely expect to slow down our dive schedule when we start a family in the next 6 months. We'll still plan on diving 2 to 3 times a month, but will need to be flexible to make sure the kids come first.

~ Jason

Single, NDL right now but plan on going tech soon.

Web Monkey:
My buddy and I were trying to figure if there's any connection between the type of diving and whether or not there's someone at home who would be really upset if you got injured, so here's the survey!

Also, do you think the presence of a significant-other/kids at home has an effect on the amount of risk you're willing to take?

Thanks!

Terry

Web,

My wife and I are only two year old scuba divers, so we are taking it slow and easy on how far we go. My goal is to eventually do tech diving on shipwrecks, but for the near (and likely far) future we are entirely recreational divers, and loving every minute of it.

I answered as a recreational/married guy, but my wife is ok with me (and possibly her) moving on to tech at some point. We do not have kids though, and are not likely to ever have them, so that part is hard to answer. I think if we'd have had kids, I would not be going into tech.

so far:

Married Divers, 72
Single Divers, 39

Hey Terry,
Are you working for the insurance company? It smells like that. Just kidding.:wink:
It is going to be good info. to see the relationship between variables:D

Web Monkey:
My buddy and I were trying to figure if there's any connection between the type of diving and whether or not there's someone at home who would be really upset if you got injured, so here's the survey!

Also, do you think the presence of a significant-other/kids at home has an effect on the amount of risk you're willing to take?

Thanks!

Terry

G, All of the above! Except the single part :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom