• Spiny Lobster

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Abstract Lines

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1647889608973.png

Scubapro used to sell a peel-back-the-paper wax "pencil" for marking rubber fins (e.g., Jet Fins) and neoprene weight belts. It worked well for writing one's initials.

I wonder if you can find something similar at your local arts and crafts hobby store.

rx7diver

They're called China markers, grease pencil. There's also a paint crayon that works well for marking gear. It comes in a chapstick style tube. Pretty durable, though I didn't do anything besides initials.

@rx7diver
@TheRealScubaSteve

I have a black wax pencil for marking my fish tanks. Wouldn’t have thought to use it on scuba gear!

My dad (U.S. Army, Ret) had something similar to the Scubapro "pencil" that he used for his military gear--except his Army-issued pencil had a smaller circumference (the circumference of a thick ink pen, maybe), and you would unravel/untwist/un-spiral the thick paper that covered the wax/grease core, as you used the pencil (rather than peeling it back).

Dad's were a couple of different colors, IIRC. My Scubapro pencils were always white.

rx7diver

Adding a backstory to this “Incident” ( imaginary of course) … they are all eyeballing each other suspiciously ..the guy on the left is bracing himself waiting for someone to make the first move… then 40m below the surface a diver can’t hold it back any longer… he tugs forcefully at another divers fin, gesticulating wildly and angrily “ THAT’s MY FIN…!”… soon it’s a free-for-all with everyone trying to yank someone else’s fin off… LOL

In the end, everyone's too embarrassed about it to report it on Scubaboard…

Paint marker from Home Depot works well for me. I write on the bottom of the fin where it has curved up enough to not rub on anything.

I used paint pens for the Mr Horsepower. It has held up for several years. More recently, I used black spray paint on some jet fins. It hasn't been on long, but I've got about 20 hours in the water with them.
IMG_2467.jpeg
0EDEE54D-7912-4AAF-BA1E-72E9B233B00D.jpeg

View attachment 714907
The final product. Not sure how long it will last with doing shore dives, but we will see. The top coat seemed to bond better with the paint than the plastic.

That looks nice, well done! Hopefully it lasts a long time for you.

I used paint pens for the Mr Horsepower. It has held up for several years. More recently, I used black spray paint on some jet fins. It hasn't been on long, but I've got about 20 hours in the water with them.View attachment 713643View attachment 713639

Absolutely magnificent

View attachment 714907
The final product. Not sure how long it will last with doing shore dives, but we will see. The top coat seemed to bond better with the paint than the plastic.

Now that you've done the art, why don't you ask Chris H how to do the photograph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom