How is your Milk Crate Setup / Tricked Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I dive NE.. I have come to love a good milk crate. Huge fan of the slightly longer rectangle shaped ones. I have some ideas how I would like to to incorporate some bungee for fins on the outside and someone mentioned "all thread" inside to clip everything to.. might do that.

Anyone else have any ideas? Anyone else have any aspirations to also own a tricked out milk crate and be the talk of the dive boat? Who knows, maybe you already are and you need to clue me on on your trade secrets!:)... would love to get some different ideas.

Ideally my end goal (that I sort of have now) is to have a crate for wet stuff on the bottom and one for dry stuff stack on top. Because I clip everything to the top I end up stacking wet stuff over dry stuff. I don't like it.

Thanks, happy diving!!!!

I too like the slightly lower & rectangular "milk crates". I use the Light Monkey one.

As to "tricking it out", I guess I'm just boring. I don't use my crate for dry stuff. I have a dry bag for that. So everything simply goes back into the crate. Back at the car the wet stuff gets transferred to a wet gear tub so that it does not get salt water into my vehicle.

We use these:

1692380247209.png

They stack on each other, lock together, and you can get wheeled boxes for them too.

1692380370124.png

Great modular system. Lots of ways to rig anchor points in them too...

Here is a picture someone sent me a while ago.

@Divin'Papaw I just like being able to stack one over the other in whatever vehicle I'm using and I can see everything. On the boat it goes down below where we all change.. milk crate / duffel bag / dry bag are practically the same size.

@rhwestfall I like that, not sure how the charters would feel about the one with wheels though, looks a little bulky.

I'll have to take a picture of mine.

Attachments

• 2021-11-18 18.08.38.jpg
    2021-11-18 18.08.38.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 246
I really like the larger, more rectangular ones. I have one I primarily use which has a loop of bungee going down the long side to clip off spools, reels, lights, etc. I have not rigged it up to carry fins since I would rather just lay them on top. But a crate > dive bag IMO. I just throw everything in there after a dive and rinse it right in the crate and then let it dry. It also takes up less space on a dive boat than the oversized bags everyone seems to carry - only once did I have a DM laugh at the crate and told me I should get a bag. But he was a royal **** so...

A heavy hard plastic box, just right for pulling and straining our glorious temple in all the wrong directions

007.JPG

Or spread the load drape from your shoulders with the weight going directly downwards no strain at all

Yeah everyone wants a deformed fin foot pocket
Stolen milk crates are for sitting and standing on

Mesh bags like mum then store them in a pocket

@rhwestfall I like that, not sure how the charters would feel about the one with wheels though, looks a little bulky
Wheels don't go on the charters. They do however make a great trolley from the car to the boat, or on a shore dive...

Back
Top Bottom