Marking gear...again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know this was asked a month or so ago. I couldn't come up with the right key words to find it in the "has this been asked before" function.
What do you use to write your name on gear, wetsuits and bcd's specifically, but feel free to add any other gear that you mark and what you mark it with.
Thanks a lot,
Spencer

We use paint pens called "Brite-Mark" that we buy at the dive shop. They work very well on non-porous surfaces like canisters and fins. We've used permanent markers on things that will show black, like tanks and the labels on wetsuits and hoods.

Why mark them?

Why mark them?

Ever been on a live-aboard with 5 pairs of identical black apollo bio fins?:rofl3:
Or 6 of the same cameras and housing?:confused:
I've had my camera picked up out of the rinse tank by someone who thought mine belonged to them. I knew the difference from reviewing the photos.

I use the paint pens and they fade too after a while. I had to remark all of my gear before my last trip.

Paint pens work great, but they will fade after awhile. As the owner of a dive shop, I think that should be used as an indication that its time to buy new gear:D Seriously though, the paint pens should last long enough that you don't mind re-marking your items. For cameras, think about a waterproof tag to attach to the housing. That or a bright colored strap to separate it from the others.

I've used all of the above, and for black rubber gear like fins, nail polish. One pair of fins was marked with nail polish more than 10 years ago, and the mark is sill visible. The same for a mask where the frame was marked with nail polish.

i've tried those 'puffy' paint pens that were supposed to be for dive gear. not impressed at all. ok, works great until your gear gets wet, then falls off in chunks.

now i tie bright pink cave line to stuff & burn the ends. *nobody* seems to want stuff marked with bright pink cave line...heh heh heh... :D and the mask has the 'stroke' slap strap on it, so it hasn't walked off, either...

yep!! that stuff below is what peeled off in chunks!!!

ID-My-Gear 3D Paint Marking System

bottles.jpg

display.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom