Marking gear...again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, I have been diving with 20 - 50 people groups, been on a liveaboard, and instruct enthusiastic students whom grab any gear they can find.....and no I don't mark it. I know my own gear! Every little scratch, mark or ding.....so should all of you!

I must admit that when at the university I had a policy that each diver had to have a unique mark on all of his or her gear. My unique mark was nothing at all, so any and all unmarked gear belonged to ... me!

One of my students got creative with this stuff and personalized her fins with flames . Durring the second or third dive I started to see sheets of paint floating around us and realized her flames had dissapeared. not too impressive. I havn't tried it myself tho.

If you read the direction :lotsalove: you would find out that it is reccomended that one rough the surface of any rubber, or hard gear before applying the I.D.-My-Gear. The only thing I marked that it didn't stick to is the silicone skirt of my mask. For everything else it totally rocks! And it has not faded like a paint pen mark does.

I used that stuff last night on all (well almost all) my new gear and it's "curing" for the next couple of days. I'll report after a while.

Cough a lot and spit loudly into your mask and snorkel, make side comments about "what a good thing the hepatitis isn't active anymore", and regal the listeners with stories of the one time you got seasick into your regulator. They'll be practically HANDING your gear to you.

If the item is able to be engraved with an electric pencil (back plate on a bc, snorkel etc.) try LIGHTLY engraving it and then tracing it with a contrasting color marker or paint pen. It keeps it from rubbing off.

ID-My-Gear 3D Paint Marking System

bottles.jpg

display.jpg

I got some of this stuff at the Long Beach dive show last year and paid about $10 for a 1oz bottle if I recall. I obviously marked most of my gear the moment I got home from the show. Then this past December when preparing to travel for the festive season I stumbled on a 4oz bottle of the exact same stuff labeled Tulip Slick Dimensional Fabric Paint over at Michaels (see http://www.michaels.com). It went for about $3.99 if I recall. I ended up using it to mark my luggage very conspicuously and now have some left over to start working on my own flames design for my gear like Prodiver_ca mentioned in his post. :eyebrow::mooner:

Paint pens work well on fabric and on rubber. Just recognize you may need to re-apply every 50 dives or so. I used them on my fins, BCD, and Wetsuit.

Dan Tags (or something similar) are good for Masks, Regs, knives, BCD's as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom