Mark your fins... how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Initially I wanted to buy the grey camo or yellow Scubapro Jetfins but they were difficult to find and order by my usual dealer.
I just got home with a new pair of OMS Slipstream fins.
So, here I am with a pair of simple plain black fins...

How can I mark them in a durable way which, at the same time, makes it a bit easier on my buddy to recognize me underwater?
How did you mark your tech fins?
Paint? Scuba goop? another way?

Solas tape is good for underwater visibility, plus it’s one more reflective surface for SAR above water. Paint markers work well for gear ID.

Barracudas seem to like the Solas tape too. :eek:

Lance

On the warm water trips, my fins are one each of Mares XStream blue and red. Plus yellow bungee straps. No losing my fins in a pile, and easy to pick me out underwater.

Locally, I have white Apeks RK3 fins, and several green cylinders, so again always pretty easy for my students to pick me out. Now, if anyone with a pair of yellow RK3s wants to trade one for one my whites, I'll be happy to take it to the next step.

I use black sharpie but I have white fins so it's less of a 'mark for visibility' issue and more of a 'mark so people unloading gear don't accidentally steal my crap'. I try to keep the rest of my gear bright and colorful - blue/teal wetsuit, blue mask, bright red SMB and whistle, black BCD with white sharpie decorations, and orange regs. If I find more markers better able to withstand dousing I plan on being a very gaudy and visible diver.

Colorful duct tape or other waterproof tape would get my vote for all black stuff if you don't want to refresh your drawings. Sharpie does fade over time and can be scraped off a bit more easily. I know rolls of reflective tape can be found for purchase but I haven't tried their waterproof capabilities or how they bond to dive gear.

Solas tape is good for underwater visibility, plus it’s one more reflective surface for SAR above water. Paint markers work well for gear ID.

Barracudas seem to like the Solas tape too. :eek:

Lance

That's the type of tape I stumbled upon while searching for yellow duct tape
Hard to remain unnoticed anywhere :)

I am not too sure how to answer this question. My red fins have a cross on them for rescue and my others (incl. skin) have no marks.

I use the white and red conspicuity tape made by 3M. Apply it with a heat gun and it will stick forever. Extremely visible. I can be identified easily from a far distance.

Heat gun? As in heat it up before you stick it on?

+1 on this. My favorite DM does this in Cozumel and it works great. On a night dive, a simple swing of my light and he shines like a lighthouse. Works just as well in daylight.

For travel, my wife and I both have Mares Avanti Quatros. I have one yellow and one white and she does the same. Best gear idea we have had yet.

I also have a set of black jet fin knockoffs I plan to do the DOT Conspicuity tape on.

Good luck,
Jay

Heat gun? As in heat it up before you stick it on?

+1 on this. My favorite DM does this in Cozumel and it works great. On a night dive, a simple swing of my light and he shines like a lighthouse. Works just as well in daylight.

For travel, my wife and I both have Mares Avanti Quatros. I have one yellow and one white and she does the same. Best gear idea we have had yet.

I also have a set of black jet fin knockoffs I plan to do the DOT Conspicuity tape on.

Good luck,
Jay

I gently scuff the fin with 120 grit sandpaper. Then cautiously heat the fin. Apply the tape. Use a roller to get good adhesion. If it needs better adhesion gently heat again then roll a second time. The set I have now has been on for 2 years. Over 250 dives, in pools, beaches, and rocky shorelines.

Initially I wanted to buy the grey camo or yellow Scubapro Jetfins but they were difficult to find and order by my usual dealer.
I just got home with a new pair of OMS Slipstream fins.
So, here I am with a pair of simple plain black fins...

How can I mark them in a durable way which, at the same time, makes it a bit easier on my buddy to recognize me underwater?
How did you mark your tech fins?
Paint? Scuba goop? another way?

Ripley...

OMS Slipstream fins are manufactured from monoprene...light/flexible...and with a little care will last indefinitely...good choice...

If you must mark them use tape...suggest colored Gorilla tape...avoid any coating(s) including marking pens (Sharpies)...some solvents in coatings can be detrimental and may breakdown the composition of the material the fins are made from...there is silicone in the monoprene mixture...some products may not stick...or stick well...

Good luck with your Slipstreams...

W.M...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom