Marineland (PV) - September 14th, 8AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thermobryan,
Sorry I flaked! I was all packed on Friday night. I even woke up at 3:30 and was ready to walk out the door. Then I realized I was way too tired for the 4 hour drive. So I went back to sleep. I am usually much more reliable than this. Again, sorry.
Jim

Not a problem, I should have got your number and called you before I left. I mean, you're coming from Visalia, which is like a 6 hour drive I'll bet.

But yea, a little disappointing, but live and learn. I'd rather be safe, then do something I really wouldn't enjoy.

Sorry to hear that the other group gave you the cold shoulder. Divers largely don't seem like very sociable people (with the exception of the Beach Crabs, of course!)

Marineland is a pretty cool site and it can be a bit advanced, especially if you enter around that rocky point with all the boulders. But if you can manage that, the area is beautiful and full of fun stuff to explore.

Probably the hardest part about the place is the long hike you have to do after the dive, but if you are experienced with Malaga's little hill, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Any word on how visibility was? I went to Malaga last night, looked at the water, and didn't think it was worth doing a dive there.

Sorry to hear that the other group gave you the cold shoulder. Divers largely don't seem like very sociable people (with the exception of the Beach Crabs, of course!)

Marineland is a pretty cool site and it can be a bit advanced, especially if you enter around that rocky point with all the boulders. But if you can manage that, the area is beautiful and full of fun stuff to explore.

Probably the hardest part about the place is the long hike you have to do after the dive, but if you are experienced with Malaga's little hill, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Any word on how visibility was? I went to Malaga last night, looked at the water, and didn't think it was worth doing a dive there.

Yea, I've started to notice that. Kinda sad, considering we all enjoy the same hobby.

I dove Cardiac Hill two weeks ago, and the entry is a little difficult, but if you take your time it's not that bad. Vis has been around 5-10 feet.

The "other group" could have been DiveVets. They dive Marineland on a pretty regular basis on Sundays. If it was DiveVets, I am a little surprised they gave you the cold shoulder. My experience with them is they are generally a friendly group. They also dive Vets on Wed nights often with a bbq afterwards. Maybe the Wed group is more gregarious than the Sunday crowd.

I'm shocked that you were given a rude welcome. I had to help my step-daughter move this weekend so I didn't get to dive, but nearly everyone who regularly shows up at Marineland on Saturdays and Sundays are very friendly. We're a different kind of "club". We make beach clean-ups a weekly ritual, not yearly and we have pretty much controlled the would-be vandals ourselves over the past 20 years. Some still sneak by, such as the idiots who spray painted the cave a couple of months ago and the fishermen who leave beer cans down there, but for the most part we keep it clean.

Yeah like Phil I'm shocked about the reception they gave you. I've always been welcomed there by the regulars & not so regulars. I've been offer to dive with them & have had some dive with me & have been offered food & beer after the dive so very puzzling. Bryan what did you say to them to p**s them off. :rofl3:

John

Yeah like Phil I'm shocked about the reception they gave you. I've always been welcomed there by the regulars & not so regulars. I've been offer to dive with them & have had some dive with me & have been offered food & beer after the dive so very puzzling. Bryan what did you say to them to p**s them off. :rofl3:

John

I don't know, but there was only a couple guys there. By the time I got there there was a group of 4-5 cars with no divers (im assuming the regulars already in the water), and these two other guys that had just showed up. I said good morning, they didn't even acknowledge me at first, so I then want over and ask if they mind diving with one more. The said, "we don't really know you, so we'd rather not". So I left it at that, and went home. No big deal, if they don't feel comfortable with someone they don't know, then that's their business. Food and beer after, damn! Oh well, live and learn.

I don't know, but there was only a couple guys there. By the time I got there there was a group of 4-5 cars with no divers (im assuming the regulars already in the water), and these two other guys that had just showed up. I said good morning, they didn't even acknowledge me at first, so I then want over and ask if they mind diving with one more. The said, "we don't really know you, so we'd rather not". So I left it at that, and went home. No big deal, if they don't feel comfortable with someone they don't know, then that's their business. Food and beer after, damn! Oh well, live and learn.

Heck with those guys. We'll dive vets Tuesday night.

I can't believe any of the regulars would say that. We're usually in the water by 8:15, so it may have been some new guys. Here's several of the guys who are there each weekend. Each of us would be glad to show you around.
wagons2.jpg

I can't believe any of the regulars would say that. We're usually in the water by 8:15, so it may have been some new guys. Here's several of the guys who are there each weekend. Each of us would be glad to show you around.

Yea, it wasn't any of those guys. But I'll take you up on your offer one day.

Back
Top Bottom