Marine life in Mexico during May/June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

Was wondering if anyone could advise whether May/June on either coast of Mexico offered an optimal opportunity to see certain marine life? I think we've missed the window for sailfish bait ball off Isla Mujeres, and it's too early for sea lion pups in La Paz.

Anyone have any advice please??

I saw lots of rays, seahorses, octopi, purcupine fish, and dozens of morays out in the open just South of Mismaloya earlier this month. And huge schools of fish. And a bunch of other stuff. The water was COLD. I wish I'd taken my 1/4" farmer john.

Hi there!

You’ve really got 3 options for diving in Mexico in May/June.

1. Isla Mujeres - As @topher mentioned, it’s prime whale shark season. You can also dive some nice reefs and MUSA while in the area.
2. Socorro - Perhaps Mexico’s best diving destination, Socorro can only be reached by liveaboard. Here you’ll find giant oceanic manta rays, humpback whales and sharks. However, Socorro requires divers to be comfortable with current.
3. Sea of Cortez - No sea lion pups, but you’ll still get sea lions along with plenty of other marine life. You might even see hammerheads. Liveaboard departures begin from June, but shore diving is available year-round.

Just let us know if you have any questions. In the meantime, happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom