La Paz Sea Lion colony closed for snorkel/scuba June 1-Aug 31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimbimx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

Why do they close the Sea Lion Colony?​

sea lions

From June 1 to August 31, the environmental authorities close the "Swim with Sea Lions" activity in the Islets. Find out why!​

The swim with Sea Lions in La Paz is suspended from June 1st to August 31st, since the birth of the pups and the reproductive stage begins on those dates. A few weeks after the births, the females in the reproductive stage and the males begin courtship, establishing a territory, and there may be fights between males for the dominance of the females.

During these dates, the swim with Sea Lions is closed to avoid accidents, being able to do observation activities from boats, and snorkel in other points of interest.

The Islotes Sea Lion colony, within the Espiritu Santo Island Archipelago National Park, is the one with the highest population growth in the Sea of Cortez, due to its privileged location, conservation programs and, above all, the attention it receives from tourists from all over the world, who, through the different operators, have constant surveillance in the area.

California Sea Lions (Zalophus Californianus) are marine mammals that can live in and out of the water, but have advantages in their front flippers that allow them to climb rocks and move more agilely on land than seals and walruses.

Because their legs were transformed into fins, they are called pinnipeds, the result of the evolution they suffered through millions of years, when food was scarce on land, and they ventured to the sea to find food.

They can close their noses in the water, their toes have joined to become fins, they can propel themselves with their front or dorsal fins and use their tail fins to orient themselves and maneuver.

California Sea Lions can hold their breath for almost ten minutes, and can descend to depths of up to three hundred meters.

A female California sea lion measures 2 meters and weighs about 200 kilos, being identified by its smaller size and thin head. Females can live longer and there is usually a larger number of females in a colony.

Adult males have a crown on their head, and depending on their age it can be covered with gray hair, they weigh about four hundred kilos and measure up to two and a half meters long.

Natural enemies of sea lions include great white, blue, tiger and hammerhead sharks, and of course Orcas. Unfortunately, man, through fishing gear, can endanger them by getting entangled in nets.

You can visit this incredible colony of Sea Lions on our tour: Tour Isla Espíritu Santo en La Paz

I wish I was a sea lion but without the scary predators. Thank you for the post and link. I'll get there someday to dive with the flying dogs.

I wish I was a sea lion but without the scary predators. Thank you for the post and link. I'll get there someday to dive with the flying dogs.
There it is some amazing diving while the sea lion colony is closed as Mobulas, Giant Mantas and much more can be seen. Also, some year-round dive spots in wrecks and reefs!.

Hi ‘chimbimx’
You wrote:
‘They can close their noses in the water, their toes have joined to become fins, they can propel themselves with their front or dorsal fins and use their tail fins to orient themselves and maneuver.'

Why : ‘front or dorsal fins’ and not simply ‘front fins’ or ‘pectoral fin’?

Back
Top Bottom