Mexico (end of april): Baja california or Yucatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saschaverst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all! I am planning a trip to central Mexico in April with 2 friends who do not dive. They are planning to leave around 22 April, but I'm thinking about staying a bit longer to dive somewhere! :snorkel:
I'm thinking 5 days extra, probably starting (and getting back to) Mexico city because that's where our international flight departs. What would be your advice? Options I came up with:

A. Baja California: La Paz / Cabo San Lucas).
>>Pros: Possibility to see whale sharks, sea lions, mobula manta's (is this all true??). Cons: Cold water temp (21 gr)🥶
B. Yucatan: diving in a cenote and at Isla Mujeres or Isla Cozumel.
>> Pros: warmer water temp! Cons: No whale sharks. Maybe 5 days is too short for this area?
C. Going back home (Europe) together with my friends and return another time with divers & more time!

I hope you can help me out! Feel free to give some more pros & cons with the options.

Have you visited Mexico before, or is this a first trip for you? If both Baja and the Yucatan are new to you, then you will simply need to make a choice between them and return for another trip to dive the other. You have laid out the pros and cons of both locations very well. I'm biased toward Yucatan, as I saw a lot of Baja when I lived in California. The cenotes are unique. There is nowhere else in the world where a non-cave-certified diver can get a feel for what cave diving is like. And Cozumel reefs are some of the best in the Caribbean. Also, Isla Mujeres is a known place to see whale sharks (though I'm not sure if it's seasonal). Did I mention I'm biased? :wink:

Haha I see a little bias! ;-) Thank you for your answer! It is my first time in Mexico indeed. I do see a new point now: I think I would return for a trip to the entire Yucatán area whereas I maybe wouldn't do the same for Baja California.. hmmm difficult :rolleyes:

Just to complicate that thought a little more, it depends on what you want to get out of a Baja trip. There is a relatively recent thread by someone (a European if I recall) who was planning a road trip down the entire Baja peninsula. High adventure!

Just to complicate that thought a little more, it depends on what you want to get out of a Baja trip. There is a relatively recent thread by someone (a European if I recall) who was planning a road trip down the entire Baja peninsula. High adventure!
That might be me!

It ended up not being a road trip (except the part from La Paz to Cabo Pulmo), but we went to Baja California Sur and Baja California but we dived in La Paz, and due to weather (flood), and a rental car not resistant to the sandy roads (high adventure indeed, but would not recommend!) we could not go to Cabo Pulmo to do another dive location. Would not recommend Cabo San Lucas as a must see place, certainly in comparison to the cool towns in the peninsula.
We did see sea lions, no manta's, and unfortunately where there too early for seeing the whale sharks.
La Paz is a cool town, very chill and can recommend SeaLions Dive center.

Haven't been to Yucatan, but would love to!

Edit: just see OP is Dutch too. Flying from Amsterdam to Mexico City?

I live in La Paz. April is not a good time for diving Baja. You will definitely get good sea lion dives, but it will be much colder than the Yucatan and whale sharks and mobulas will be a crapshoot.

The Yucatan is a better choice for April (if you have some time to spend). Cozumel for reef dives, around Tulum for cenotes, Xcalak and Mahahual for some cool dives.

Since you only have 5 days, it's a personal preference thing. I love diving with the sea lions and I do it all the time, it's a different experience every trip.

Both La Paz and Cozumel are cheap hops from Mexico City via Volaris.

Thank you all! This gives so much more information than blogs or general websites. 😁

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom