Multistop dive travel February-April 23?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you said about not having seen the Oceanics in 4 trips trips to the Red Sea highlights the fact that it is about luck and about improving one's odds by targetting the species that you wish to see during the peak season (if there is one) for those species. Choosing a good operator is also a factor.

My suggestions to you were based on destinations that you apparently had not been to before and that I think are good for the late winter/Spring timeframe that you chose. If you were considering a late Spring/Summer timeframe, for example, I would have a different set of suggestions.

The Oceanics seem to be almost fearless. But the fact that I am here typing this reply to you says that you can lessen the risk if you follow the dive operator's instructions. As best as I know, there have not been any incidents reported from these encounters in Cat Island.

Those of us with a larger housed camera used it not so much as a ram but as a barrier when they got a bit too close. For those without a large housed camera, Epic Diving provided a 1 meter long PVC pipe to present as a barrier to the approaching shark. To me, the key is to always remain alert when they are in the water, with your head pretty much on a turret turning 360 degrees, and always maintaining eye to eye contact before, during and after they swim by you. Other types of sharks pass by and keep on going. This one is the only one I have seen that passes by, might already be 2-3 meters past, but seems to sense that I turned my head to look elsewhere and turns right around and comes again.

Ultimately, you have to dive within your comfort zone, and if these types of encounters are going to become stressful and less enjoyable, maybe it might be better to choose something else.

What you said about not having seen the Oceanics in 4 trips trips to the Red Sea highlights the fact that it is about luck and about improving one's odds by targetting the species that you wish to see during the peak season (if there is one) for those species. Choosing a good operator is also a factor.

My suggestions to you were based on destinations that you apparently had not been to before and that I think are good for the late winter/Spring timeframe that you chose. If you were considering a late Spring/Summer timeframe, for example, I would have a different set of suggestions.

The Oceanics seem to be almost fearless. But the fact that I am here typing this reply to you says that you can lessen the risk if you follow the dive operator's instructions. As best as I know, there have not been any incidents reported from these encounters in Cat Island.

Those of us with a larger housed camera used it not so much as a ram but as a barrier when they got a bit too close. For those without a large housed camera, Epic Diving provided a 1 meter long PVC pipe to present as a barrier to the approaching shark. To me, the key is to always remain alert when they are in the water, with your head pretty much on a turret turning 360 degrees, and always maintaining eye to eye contact before, during and after they swim by you. Other types of sharks pass by and keep on going. This one is the only one I have seen that passes by, might already be 2-3 meters past, but seems to sense that I turned my head to look elsewhere and turns right around and comes again.

Ultimately, you have to dive within your comfort zone, and if these types of encounters are going to become stressful and less enjoyable, maybe it might be better to choose something else.
Yes, this kind of research I did not do in the first years, I wasn't even avare that it's possible to have a choice, somehow just went to a random diveshop and did what they offered.

I dive with gopro, I skipped the camera because my pictures did not justify the effort, so to say. So I would need the PVC stick - I know this thing, they gave it to us at Bimini.

If you do the Dolphin Dream liveaboard to Tiger Beach, they offer you a PVC pipe as well.

I also did the Great Hammerheads with Neil Watson, but in January 2017. At that time, I had already switched from a big housed camera to a GoPro. But the Great Hammerheads were well-behaved (not aggressive). They were only focused on the feeder and the fish that he was offering. As long as I did not extend my arm out while holding the GoPro (I do not use a selfie stick)....because then the shark might have thought that I was the feeder.

I also like to do multistops when it is not difficult to combine the two, so after Bimini, I went to Western Florida to snorkel with the manatees. But I am not sure if the manatees are still hanging around Crystal River and Homossasa Spring by April.

This sounds interesting. Singapure would be nice as a stopover (the hotel with the infinity pool...). Is there the chance to see some bigger fish (sharks?) at one of the suggested places?
How about the biggest fish in the world?

Federated States of Micronesia:
Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei and Korsrea.
The first two need no introduction for scuba diving.

If you do the Dolphin Dream liveaboard to Tiger Beach, they offer you a PVC pipe as well.

I also did the Great Hammerheads with Neil Watson, but in January 2017. At that time, I had already switched from a big housed camera to a GoPro. But the Great Hammerheads were well-behaved (not aggressive). They were only focused on the feeder and the fish that he was offering. As long as I did not extend my arm out while holding the GoPro (I do not use a selfie stick)....because then the shark might have thought that I was the feeder.

I also like to do multistops when it is not difficult to combine the two, so after Bimini, I went to Western Florida to snorkel with the manatees. But I am not sure if the manatees are still hanging around Crystal River and Homossasa Spring by April.
Ah, the manatees, I was in Chrystal River Dezember 2009. We had a baby manatee with the mother. Bevore that, we were in Key West and went to the Spiegel Grove. Choppy day and we had it to ourselfs. Remember being just the two of us this huge wreck.
This trip was unplanned, we were going to Thailand and due to political problems had to cancel and rebook couple of days bevore departure.
I would like to see the manatees again, and since long ago, repetition is ok.
They also have caves/caverns there. This could be something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom