Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving drunk and high happens quite a bit. Does DAN keep track of the drunk/high divers that get DCS?

I know of one diver, who after waking up with a bad hangover, chugged a couple of beers and smoked a joint to feel better for diving. Fortunately he just went on a shore dive.

howarde:
MR K - That doesn't sound too fair, that people can write how they don't want to dive with someone who has smoked pot, but people who posted about their diving after smoking pot have had their posts deleted? (I've been lurking, but not posting)

It seems like your post is saying "feel free to post your anti-marijuana posts here" but "scubaboard doesn't condone drug use, so don't post anything pro-marijuana here" (although alcohol abuse is not tabu)

Just an observation... :D
Howarde,
You are just now catching on to the "go with the anti (insert here) post" and dont post "pro (insert here) posts" or they will be deleted? If you bash our President, you are given the key to the website, support him, you are sent to the back of the classroom to shut up and color...... oh, just an observation......:crafty:

howarde:
MR K - That doesn't sound too fair, that people can write how they don't want to dive with someone who has smoked pot, but people who posted about their diving after smoking pot have had their posts deleted? (I've been lurking, but not posting)

It seems like your post is saying "feel free to post your anti-marijuana posts here" but "scubaboard doesn't condone drug use, so don't post anything pro-marijuana here" (although alcohol abuse is not tabu)

Just an observation... :D
Agree, arbitrary censorship.

Hillmorton Scubie:
IM STILL ASTOUNDED
I AM SO DISAPPOINTED WITH THE REPLY'S TO MY POST.---ME ME ME THATS ALL I SEE.
People have the RIGHT to do what the hell they like.
Does an Insta buddy have the RIGHT to put me at risk. !!
Hillmorton Scubie
LOL, yeah, people do have the right to do just that. Why do you think there is so much discussion about the potluck of diving? (dreaded ‘insta buddy&#8217:wink: And you can be as upset about it as you want to but what would removing the right accomplish? It is already illegal, in some portions of the world, and for some individuals. Ok, a lot of them.
Take responsibility for yourself and your choice of whom you dive with – and ask the same of them. BTW – remember you can call a dive for any reason.:)

This exerpt from New Scientist indicates that task overloading can be more of a danger than marijuana. Particularly pertinent to SCUBA diving, IMO....

"THE next time your boss complains you are not focused enough, blame it on email and phone calls. Even smoking dope has less effect on your ability to concentrate on the task in hand.

At least that's what Glenn Wilson, a psychiatrist King's College London, found when he and his team asked 80 volunteers to carry out problem-solving tasks, first in a quiet environment and then while being bombarded with emails and phone calls.

Despite being told to ignore the interruptions, the average IQ of the volunteers dropped by about 10 points. Not everyone was equally affected - men were twice as distracted as women. Studies have also shown that IQs of people high on pot drop by only 5 points.

"If left unchecked, 'infomania' will damage a worker's performance by reducing their mental sharpness," says Wilson. "This is a very real and widespread phenomenon." Information overload can reduce a person's ability to focus as much as losing a night's sleep can, he adds."
From issue 2497 of New Scientist magazine, 30 April 2005, page 6 :coffee:

Perhaps we should include 'apparent task overload' as one criteria for a potentially dangerous dive buddy.

mrjimboalaska:
Howarde,
You are just now catching on to the "go with the anti (insert here) post" and dont post "pro (insert here) posts" or they will be deleted? If you bash our President, you are given the key to the website, support him, you are sent to the back of the classroom to shut up and color...... oh, just an observation......:crafty:

I realize that many discussions are only one sided here on SB because of TOS, but there is a flagrant contradiction here. Usually, I understand the rationale behind some of the censorship, but in this case, the reason cited is because it's an illegal activity. But the real question is - where is marijuana smoking illegal. I understand that SB is a U.S. based business, so does that mean that U.S. law applies? In several states, pot IS legal, so that just shows me a contradiction in statements. Also, the use of the word impairment. It seems to me that everyone who has stated that they smoke say they're not impaired, and for the most part, those who don't smoke state that there is impairment. It just sounds like a lot of passing judgment going on without actual experience. That's all. I'm not advocating anything here... just pointing out what it sounds like to me.

howarde:
That's all. I'm not advocating anything here... just pointing out what it sounds like to me.
Just another of those little inconsistencies. :D People are often quick to judge that which they know nothing about. Of course......they themselves think they know everything! :eyebrow:

All it really shows is that our supposed *international* board is run in a rather parochial way - using the mores and values from a much smaller place than is claimed.

howarde:
I realize that many discussions are only one sided here on SB because of TOS, but there is a flagrant contradiction here. Usually, I understand the rationale behind some of the censorship, but in this case, the reason cited is because it's an illegal activity. But the real question is - where is marijuana smoking illegal. I understand that SB is a U.S. based business, so does that mean that U.S. law applies? In several states, pot IS legal, so that just shows me a contradiction in statements. Also, the use of the word impairment. It seems to me that everyone who has stated that they smoke say they're not impaired, and for the most part, those who don't smoke state that there is impairment. It just sounds like a lot of passing judgment going on without actual experience. That's all. I'm not advocating anything here... just pointing out what it sounds like to me.

Possession of marijuana is unlawful in the US. Several states, notably California, have state codes that allow possession with a prescription. Federal law supercedes state law, federal law states that marijuana possession is unlawful.

As to impairment; this is not opinion, this would be science,no judgement involved. If you are curious see the NHTSA research on impairment. This research encompasses a much larger sample than 80 student volunteers,or any junk research posted on the internet by non peer reviewed pro drug organizations.

As an aside; I spent almost two years undercover, my JOB was to smoke dope every night, as well as swill down every type of alcoholic beverage put in front of me while swapping food stamps, guns, and large quantities of drugs around..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom