Marianna Trip Report (w/ photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo:
Okay, now I have an orientation for Marianna, because I remember Merritts Mill Pond on my map. Evidently it's not one for us to visit, however. We've been told to be sure and go to Ginnie. I've also read enough about Morrison and Vortex to want to go there. Our plan was to take our rv to Vortex, dive the area springs, go to Ginnie, again diving the area, then back home to Texas through Pensacola, and dive the Oriskany. So I suppose any plans we make will begin with a flight to Pensacola. Does this sound like a good plan?

Hi Foo.... your trek sounds great.....these guys can advise the fine points to your Fl. visit I bet when it comes to those caves and caverns/ponds. I to will dive the Oriskany,,,,I have several choices of dates...Aug. 06 and March 07 with several divers I know,,,,but may hit it on a road trip of my own after my Trimix class so I can do the artf. reef from several vantage points. Will be eager to hear from folks like you and others as to their dives and site pointers. Hope your trip works out!!!

Foo:
Awesome. I'll definitely take you up on it when we go to Florida. Are you free during the week, or weekends only? I've wanted to visit the springs for a long time now, but for our July trip, we've got to decide between FL and Coz... Oh, the pain of such a dilemma... :D

With advance notice, I can get a day or two off during the week. The nice thing about the panhandle is that you can go from beach diving, to freshwater springs in about 2 hours driving time. From Tallahassee, you have cave diving within an hour's drive. Gulf diving within 1.5 hours, and OW springs within 2 hours drive.

I'll try to give you the lay of the land from Tallahassee. Merritts Mill is 65 miles. Morrison exit is 98 miles. Vortex is quite commercialized, but probably ok for a one time visit. Morrison is 20 minutes away. Between the two is a nice resturant to eat at.

Pensacola is about 3 hours drive from Tallahassee. Panama City is about an hour and 45 minutes to the gulf. To the west, Troy Springs (don't miss this) is a nice freshwater spring about 70ft deep and very quiet during the week. It's located about 1.5 hours from Tallahassee Ginnie Springs is about 1:45 from Tallahassee if you take the highway, and it's located in High Springs. Cave diving Mecca. Ginnie is a bit pricey, but unlike Vortex, it's actually worth the money. And it's RV friendly with electrical and water hook ups. An hour further south is Devils Den and Blue Grotto. Both worth a dive if you have the time.

Jacksonville Beach is about 2.5 hours from Tallahassee if you want to get in some east coast boat diving.

If you want to make Pensacola your base of operations, just add 3 hours to total time of everything East of Tallahassee.

In terms of costs, Vortex is $32, Morrison is free. Ginnie is about $32, Troy is $10 to dive. Blue Grotto is $40, Divers Den is $30. Oriskany is $145 for the boat ride. If you are interested in some specific sites in the panhandle let me know and I'll try to help you further.

-P

Cool pics! Thanks.

Wow, thanks for all the info, PF! I'm going to print this info, and I will let you know when we decide to make the trip. Still flip-flopping on whether to go to the Caribbean or stay in the states and travel to Florida... again, it's so nice to have to make difficult decisions such as this one!

PerroneFord:
Thanks, that clears some things up. I was looking at the suit and I didn't see an exhaust valve. I'm not used to seeing neoprene drysuits. :)

I'd be somewhat concerned on the solo thing. Like I said, I'm not a cave diver, but I think I'd want to know if my buddy had different feelings about solo diving in that environment. I'd probably be nervous as hell if my buddy decided to solo and leave me alone in a cave. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying how I'd feel.

Thanks for answering my questions. Lessons for the future for me. :)

this was probably responded to but while reading through I hit this and decided to reply, James dives a DUI 50/50 and Rand is on the CF200, neither are neoprene suits.

I am the 3rd leg of that group that did not make the trip, I have no concerns on one of my buddies going solo as it is his choice, going solo doesn't mean abandoning your team tho so no one was "left" alone, and James would not do that, he's the kind of guy I believe would really push his personal saftey limit to the absolute max to help out a team member, he'd never just abandon.

FIXXERVI6:
this was probably responded to but while reading through I hit this and decided to reply, James dives a DUI 50/50 and Rand is on the CF200, neither are neoprene suits.

I am the 3rd leg of that group that did not make the trip, I have no concerns on one of my buddies going solo as it is his choice, going solo doesn't mean abandoning your team tho so no one was "left" alone, and James would not do that, he's the kind of guy I believe would really push his personal saftey limit to the absolute max to help out a team member, he'd never just abandon.

Ok a read on and saw it was replied to, oh well.

The same weekend I was in a wild dry cave and got wet, can I log that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom