Marianna Trip Report (w/ photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is Marianna, please? Texas?

Thank you, PF. Some techie types occasionally forget about us who aren't in the know. :wink: Marianna is a spring? Cool. We were planning to take our travel trailer and go on a tour of the panhandle and central springs for our vacation this summer. Yikes, when we considered the cost of fuel for the trip, we decided that we'd rather spend that much and go to Coz or other blue water, instead.

But we're defintely going to fly in and dive the Florida springs sometime. I love the pictures of the caves, but I don't think I could ever cave dive- I wish I weren't such a skeerdy cat, because I do have a fascination of it. But I get panicky feeling in even dry caves!

Thanks again, I appreciate the continuation of my dive education.

Sorry, Marianna is a town in the Florida Panhande about 60 miles W of Tallahassee. There is a major cave there called Jackson Blue that pumps a lot of water into the a mill pond. There are several other caves that are also on that pond including Hole and Twin.

loosebits:
Sorry, Marianna is a town in the Florida Panhande about 60 miles W of Tallahassee. There is a major cave there called Jackson Blue that pumps a lot of water into the a mill pond. There are several other caves that are also on that pond including Hole and Twin.

No worries, LB, and thanks for the explanation. Is there a diveable basin for non-cavern or cave certified? I got a book on Florida diving and have been working out a route for our trip there. But we'll fly when we do go, and rent a vehicle for moving from spring to spring.

I live in the FL Panhandle and dive the springs here regularly. If you're thinking of doing this, let me know. I'll try to assist you.

I did intro cave in Marianna a few weeks ago.Dont think there is any open water diving in the area.You need to be cave certified to be in the water at Jackson Blue. The other caves (Twin and Hole in the Wall) have small entrances in the bottom of a 4 foot deep lake (Merritts Mill Pond)

PerroneFord:
I live in the FL Panhandle and dive the springs here regularly. If you're thinking of doing this, let me know. I'll try to assist you.

Awesome. I'll definitely take you up on it when we go to Florida. Are you free during the week, or weekends only? I've wanted to visit the springs for a long time now, but for our July trip, we've got to decide between FL and Coz... Oh, the pain of such a dilemma... :D

ianr33:
I did intro cave in Marianna a few weeks ago.Dont think there is any open water diving in the area.You need to be cave certified to be in the water at Jackson Blue. The other caves (Twin and Hole in the Wall) have small entrances in the bottom of a 4 foot deep lake (Merritts Mill Pond)

Okay, now I have an orientation for Marianna, because I remember Merritts Mill Pond on my map. Evidently it's not one for us to visit, however. We've been told to be sure and go to Ginnie. I've also read enough about Morrison and Vortex to want to go there. Our plan was to take our rv to Vortex, dive the area springs, go to Ginnie, again diving the area, then back home to Texas through Pensacola, and dive the Oriskany. So I suppose any plans we make will begin with a flight to Pensacola. Does this sound like a good plan?

I'd also try to hit Orange Grove (located in Peacock Spring State Park) and the Peacock slough (in the same park) has some nice snorkeling (very interesting fish) but straping on a tank would be over kill and I don't think OW diving is allowed in the slough anyway. Of course there are always the manatees at Crystal River during the Fall and Winter I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom