Mares X-Stream and Scubapro Novas performance questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSFlyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi: I am thinking of buying Mares X-Stream fins as a replacement for my tired Avanti Quattros. How does the X-Stream compare: Easier on the legs? Stiffer? Softer? Lighter? Most importantly how does it perform in a frog kick. Is it an improvement to Avantis? Also considering Scubapro Novas (the new weird looking thing:) Any opinions on those? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

No experience with the Xstreams, except they look cool . . . I have used the Novas in a pool. They are extremely good fins for going fast in a straight line. You can also back up in them, and pivot; frog kicking is less efficient, I think because of the little side tabs on them. As OW fins, I don't think they're bad, except that they are very expensive. There are reports of the connecting "rods" breaking -- SP apparently replaces them quickly and without question, but personally, I don't want a fin to break during a dive if I can avoid it.

Just used Novas for the first time today on Superior Producer in Curacao. I think they frog kick excellent. I noticed my helicopter turns were way easier too. Modified frog kick took a while to get down, but about 45 mins in I found the groove and could really haul in a mild current with few kick cycles.

Worth all that money? Dunno, gotta see if the last 5 years without loosing a ton of stiffness.

I have a pair of X-streams and I am loving it, very light and eficient perfect for frog kicks :D you will love it. And yes I know a few people wainting replacement for their novas from scubapro ( they snap).:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom