Mares regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Ice as my first reg and have had no problems with after 50 dives. My wife has the plastic proton and in my opinion it breaths just a touch better...

The LDS i bought it from also sells apex but prefers the mares regs. He says the mares regs are ready out of the box when others need additional tuning before he lets them go out the door.

The only other regulator I own is a used Brut and I don't think that it would be fair to compare a 25 year old reg with the protons....good luck!

June:
I was informed the same when I approached my LDS on Mares product. lately, it seems that the product quality has decreased causing failures during dives.

As such, after much research and advice from Scubaboard, I have decided to purchase Apeks ATX200.

I find it funny that almost all Mares reg divers here shared that the regs are excellent with no problems. And you end up taking your LDS's comment that Mares product quality has decreased.

New models may have teething problems when launched and such problems are rectified as the product is reviewed and renewed. Halcyon recently had a mass recall on their inflators. So is Halcyon bad?

Equipment failures happen. My buddy's Poseidon reg free-flowed non-stop from the 2nd stage. Small failure inside the 2nd stage. So... Poseidon is bad too?

I dive Mares Abyss & Proton Ice and am so satisfied with them that I will recommend them as excellent regs to anyone who asks me. I dive Mares Vector 1000 MRS as well. After 100 dives, the BC still look new - No loose threads, no discoloration. I had dove with Mares Quattros for 7 yrs. Excellent fins and the fin strap is still good. I had dove with Mares masks too. It served me well but I changed them because I had the urge to get something new.

i just bought the mares abyss, haven't had a chance to get wet yet. i currently dive with a zeagle flathead IX and the ledgend LX. i know that they a both fantastic regs. if the mares is as good as either of these regs. i'm a happy camper. i traded an old dacor 900 pacer in on the mares.(mares has a great trade in deal going on, i got it for $299.00)even if it isn't quite as good, i figure that i couldn't go bad with the price that i payed for it. ken

Perfectly happy with my Proton Ice. Fitted it with a seacure mouthpiece. Light, sweet breather and cycles flawlessly. I've dove the Abyss and like it too. If the Ice breaks before I do, then I'll order another and pull out a spare 2d stage to use until my LDS gets it in.

Equipment these days is generally pretty good. My LDS shop guy loves Aqualung for the parts availability and simplicity of maintenance. I don't mind - my wife dives the Micra and I'm going to get some Apeks regs eventually. But I'm not giving up my Proton Ice anytime soon.

Forget the brand fashion-conscious - get good gear from people you trust and go dive!

just my 2 psi...

Thank you to all of the Mares supporters out there. It is nice to hear all of the positive comments. We appreciate your loyalty.

In fairness to all major brands, we all have relationships with LDS, occasionally for various reasons those relationships may become strained or severed. It is better to simply take the high road and tell customers we have made a business decision to not support a brand as opposed to "bad mouthing" a company.

In the end we all strive to put good products in the market place so divers can enjoy their passion.

Phil

Phil Mintz:
Thank you to all of the Mares supporters out there. It is nice to hear all of the positive comments. We appreciate your loyalty.

In fairness to all major brands, we all have relationships with LDS, occasionally for various reasons those relationships may become strained or severed. It is better to simply take the high road and tell customers we have made a business decision to not support a brand as opposed to "bad mouthing" a company.

In the end we all strive to put good products in the market place so divers can enjoy their passion.

Phil

Phil I too love my Abyss. Now do you know if Mares is planing on making changes to thier regs (such as the ability unscrew the cover without any tools) to satisfy the DIR requirements?

Marcin2005:
Phil I too love my Abyss. Now do you know if Mares is planing on making changes to thier regs (such as the ability unscrew the cover without any tools) to satisfy the DIR requirements?

Thanks, at this time there are no planned changes concerning DIR.

Phil

Mares Proton Ice is a very good breather. I like to take longer weaker breaths, and this reg responds very well to any breathing I do. So far I have done 80fsw with it, and I think the reg prefers anything under 30fsw. I did try the 2005 Abyss, but even with a Seacure, it just gave me too much jaw fatigue, which I think was just the hose positioning on my setup. I wound up returning it for an Ice, and haven't thought twice about the Ice.

Phil Mintz:

Phil

Hey Phil,

I love my Ice... :07: but I have a problem with biting through my mouthpieces quickly. Could you point me somewhere, where I might buy a replacement Ice blue mouthpiece? I don't have a Mares dealer in my area and haven't been able to find one online. It just doesn't look the same with a plain clear one! Thanks!

Hi Jennifer,

I am over in Rapallo, Italy at the office/factory this week (there are worse places to work). I will walk over to production and see if I can put a few in my bag. Drop me a line next week.

Regards,

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom