Mares regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had two sets of MR12III regulators since 1986. They don't look pretty anymore but I have never had a problem with them. I kept waiting for the LDS to tell me that they were beyond repair or service so that I could justify buying new regulators. The day still has not come.

I no longer use these sets as my primary regulators as there are new brands and models that outperform these. So I finally bought a different brand (Aqualung Legend LX Supremes) but I have no complaints about my Mares regulators.

I have breathed from many a regulator in my instruction days down to depths approaching 200 feet. These were still easier breathers than almost any of the "high performance" regulators with which I did air sharing with my students.

I'm diving the Abyss since couple of years and it always performed reliably regardless how deep or how cold(Winter dives in Nova Scotia).

Frogman48:
Although Mares has a good reputation for regulators - I have heard of failures at depth - and in fact have experienced one myself. I had a Mares Proton LX that occasionally made a "popping" sound while underwater during the inhale cycle. Didn't think much of it at first, but once (and that was enough) at 80 feet, the second stage "popped" and from that point - no air! I immediately switched to my alternate - a Mares Proton alternate - which breathed fine and made a normal ascent. Later, the LDS informed me that they had received at least two concerns of the LX model making that "popping" sound. They were nice enough to make an even exchange of my LX for a Mares Abyss. So far, no problems with the Abyss, but following that little incident, I now use my older Aqualung Legend LX Supreme as my primary regulator and use the Mares Abyss as a backup regulator.

I'm always interested in learning the cause of regulator failures
Did your LDS attempt to determine the problem? What was it?
Did you try breathing from it once on the surface or before returning it? How many dives after service or after purchase did this occur? Did it suffer any damage prior to these dives?
In my opinion, IF this shop made no attempt to find the cause of the problem and continued selling this model, don't walk away from it - run.

I can only say that I have been using a Mares MR22 Abyss for almost four years. During this time the second stage has been dropped on sand, been breathed underwater through swirling sand, bumped into smooth hard rocks, been dropped on parking lot pavement, and taken the best airline luggage handlers can give - without skipping a beat. Don't recommend you try any of this stuff.

It seems this regulator has gotten a lot more respect from those partial to other brands since it was used to set the deep diving record. There are other solid, high performance regs out there too, this one might just win the torture contest though.

1950's and 60's they were VOIT ..... early 70's became Voit/Swimaster, then AMF/Swimaster ....... finally Mares ... first stage of MR12 still looks the same after 20 years of production ..... they have made some fine regulators in the past and still do so ..... i owned a Titan II back in the 60's but traded for a Scubapro Mk 5 and then a Dacor 950 Pacer ..... one thing to remenber ..... those limited lifetime warranties don't mean much if they stop making the parts after 20years ...... heard rumor the Mares was about to merge (buyout) Dacor at my local shop ....

scubapro50:
1950's and 60's they were VOIT ..... early 70's became Voit/Swimaster, then AMF/Swimaster ....... finally Mares ... first stage of MR12 still looks the same after 20 years of production ..... they have made some fine regulators in the past and still do so ..... i owned a Titan II back in the 60's but traded for a Scubapro Mk 5 and then a Dacor 950 Pacer ..... one thing to remenber ..... those limited lifetime warranties don't mean much if they stop making the parts after 20years ...... heard rumor the Mares was about to merge (buyout) Dacor at my local shop ....

Let the dive shop know they're a little behind the times. Head Sports (parent company for Mares) bought Dacor years ago...

I was on a boat a few weeks back. The dive was to 130' off New Jersey. The rails were lined with double tanks. I think I counted 6 Abyss, 4 Protons, 4 Axis, 2 Poseidons, 2 ScubaPros. None of the people worked for a shop, and all of the regs had seen years of service.

I'll stick with my Abyss.

drmobil2002:
He said they were going to drop that line.

I had one LDS owner tell me that the "problem" with Mares is that they are an online product line now. What this means to him is that he would have to provide floor space to gear that might offer lower margins than the house brand. What it means to you is you might get a piece of gear at a competetive price with a factory warranty.

Thanks everybody you all make my decision a lot more easy and comforting. I know that just about all of you suggest the Abyss, but does anybody have any comments on the Proton Ice and / or the V16 Proton Metal?

Also, on the Abyss some people on other threads in this board have said that the abyss has a short and stiff hose which tends to get annoying for some people. Is this true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom