Mares Puck 4 runs Buhlmann with GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently on sale for CAD400 at Dive Computers Archives. At that price IMHO worth considering for a backup computer to my peregrine. The deep6 excursion is definitely nicer, but with shipping and exchange that works out to be more like CAD540. On the other hand, I already have one backup computer that annoys me sometimes (Hollis TX-1), so it's not an easy choice.

The puck is one of the best computer on the market imo. It does it's job and is nearly undestructible. It is very cheap (at least in its current version); is able to catter to nitrox & change of gas; and has big screen.

Everytime I meet some recreational diver with an overpriced/over qualified shearwater; the conversation goes usually like this "(my instructor / internet) told me this is the only safe computer so I wouldn't trust any other"
It blows my mind that people could give such advice to recreational diver. It is simply not true and pushes a lot of people to spend for something they will never need.

It is simply not true and pushes a lot of people to spend for something they will never need.
I don't see it that way. Let's say diver gets bent. Doc gets hold of it's dive computer, now he/she needs correct software to read it and interpret dive profile. Shearwater needs few button presses to show tissue saturation in real time. I see it as I see pilot's job. Pilots are not paid big money for when everything runs smoothly, they are paid when for when everything goes to sh#t.

Currently on sale for CAD400 at Dive Computers Archives. At that price IMHO worth considering for a backup computer to my peregrine. The deep6 excursion is definitely nicer, but with shipping and exchange that works out to be more like CAD540. On the other hand, I already have one backup computer that annoys me sometimes (Hollis TX-1), so it's not an easy choice.
I find that my either my Puck Pro or my Puck Pro+, when set to least conservative setting, is a fine back-up computer to my Perdix 2 -- no significant differences in NDL times for my recreational dive profiles in Cozumel, SE Florida, etc. My first thought seeing that the Puck 4 is out is that hopefully this will reduce prices on Puck Pro and Puck Pro+ computers that stores have in inventory. I agree with Etmutt that the Puck is a great computer for the money.

I find that my either my Puck Pro or my Puck Pro+, when set to least conservative setting, is a fine back-up computer to my Perdix 2 -- no significant differences in NDL times for my recreational dive profiles in Cozumel, SE Florida, etc. My first thought seeing that the Puck 4 is out is that hopefully this will reduce prices on Puck Pro and Puck Pro+ computers that stores have in inventory. I agree with Etmutt that the Puck is a great computer for the money.
Hi @Rob9876

What GFs do you run on your Perdix?

The first dive of the day on a Suunto is reasonably liberal. Subsequent repetitive dives are more conservative, especially with factors such as a short surface interval.

A Shearwater running Buhlmann is relatively more conservative on the first dive, especially if deeper. It will be relatively more liberal on repetitive dives, especially if shallower. I have considerable experience diving Buhlmann at a GF high of 95 along with an Oceanic computer running DSAT, 1150 dives since 2015.

Hi @Rob9876

What GFs do you run on your Perdix?

The first dive of the day on a Suunto is reasonably liberal. Subsequent repetitive dives are more conservative, especially with factors such as a short surface interval.

A Shearwater running Buhlmann is relatively more conservative on the first dive, especially if deeper. It will be relatively more liberal on repetitive dives, especially if shallower. I have considerable experience diving Buhlmann at a GF high of 95 along with an Oceanic computer running DSAT, 1150 dives since 2015.
Hi @scubadada , I'm using the Shearwater pre-defined Low conservatism, so GF high of 95 for me also. I found that the Perdix's default Medium setting was more conservative than my Puck's Low setting.

That's why I went to Perdix and relegated my Mares Matrix to backup (in gauge mode, since it would probably threw a fit at the dives I am doing now and lock me out anyway).
And I like SurfGF and tissue graph in case I need to skip deco for whatever reason.
I really do not get this: if I miss a deco stop, I would never dive for 2 or 3 days, or even one week, not just 24h...
What's the problem having a computer locking for 24h in these conditions?
Who would dare to dive earlier???

The issue is when you didn’t really miss a deco stop, but the computer has bricked itself anyway. Even if you did, what would be the point of staying out of the water for 2 or 3 days or longer, assuming you were asymptomatic?

I really do not get this: if I miss a deco stop, I would never dive for 2 or 3 days, or even one week, not just 24h...
What's the problem having a computer locking for 24h in these conditions?
Who would dare to dive earlier???
Not for the reasons you think. Look bellow.
I don't see it that way. Let's say diver gets bent. Doc gets hold of it's dive computer, now he/she needs correct software to read it and interpret dive profile. Shearwater needs few button presses to show tissue saturation in real time. I see it as I see pilot's job. Pilots are not paid big money for when everything runs smoothly, they are paid when for when everything goes to sh#t.

Hi Divers,

We have conducted testing that might interest you. More details are available here: Info - Deeply Safe Labs: A website for dive computer testing

We haven't got our hands on a Puck 4 yet, but we did have the opportunity to test a Mares Sirius Computer. You can find the tests here: Deeply Safe Labs . We are very interested in hearing what you think about the "Repetitive" mode, supposed to handle repeated dives such as is done on liveaboards.

We have no way to know for sure if the Puck 4 behaves like the Sirius until we can test it, but our tests on the Sirius have shown that is does not seem to use the unmodified ZH-L16 C parameters, but is slightly less conservative for all gradient factors settings we have tested.

Best regards,
Eric Frasquet,
Deeply Safe Labs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom